Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical Puts Out Mir 0.0.6 Release For Ubuntu

Phoronix: Canonical Puts Out Mir 0.0.6 Release For Ubuntu

For those living on the bleeding edge Ubuntu 13.10 developments, Mir 0.0.6 has been tagged...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wonder if they fixed the XMir performance issues when running a DE in fullscreen mode

Comment

Does any one know how Mir is going to handle multi-monitor, is there going to be a per monitor surface like with Wayland or one big (and limiting) surface like with X? Also any words on remote Mir?

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
        Does any one know how Mir is going to handle multi-monitor, is there going to be a per monitor surface like with Wayland or one big (and limiting) surface like with X? Also any words on remote Mir?
        They had an official press release recently that they were working on support. Multimonitor on XMir aleady works.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
          Faster
          No native Mir applications out there, so XMir is used for everything (even compositing). That means it's slower than pure X.
          better
          Cause there's no native WM for Mir you can't run Mir applications (that doesn't even exist) on it. So all you are able to run are X apps. And don't forget driver support: Neither the nvidia blob nor fglrx support Mir atm.
          earlier
          Than what? I see a slower, buggier X here. So a bit late. :P

Comment

It will be native, amd and nvidia will support it don't you worry. And before Wayland. Maybe not with 13.10 but with 14.04 which is still faster than anything wayland. They take their time with making it perfect.... haha.

If the guys working on wayland are the guys that worked on X.org than sure as hell they shouldn't be allowed to touch anything related to coding anymore. Right now I'm on Windows 7 and the UI is so much better than anything that can be provided by X. And you cling to the idea that they will get it right this time. They haven't got it right in 20 years for christ sake. Let somebody else do the job, hopefully properly this time.
            That is really not a fair comparison, for one think they have had to work within the constraints of a 20 old design, but also X.org is a fork of xfree86, and since then there have been huge improvements, so the current developer group is not a bad one. They started Wayland because they them self recognized that X is a dead end.

Comment

Wayland guys lost so much time and moving so slow it will take another 5 years before they come up with anything.
              Both Unity and Gnome have the same timeline for Wayland/Mir support (experimental by fall 2013, default by spring 2014). However before that Enlightement 18 will be released with fairly complete Wayland support apparently later this month. Weston is already somewhat usable. KDE will support Wayland with KDE Plasma Workspaces 2.0 that will be released next year. So yeah, it won't take five years and will probably be usable before Mir... in any case the difference is only matter of months.

Which is why I support Canonical.
              Why would you even need pick any sides?

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
                Why would you even need pick any sides?
                Because there isn't any Apple-like organization to worship in Linux Ecosystem. So they choose to blindly accept anything from such company while we're the bad guys who are going to criticise and flame their every step. - I feel like a villain. I'm going back to destroying the whole world. Who knows, maybe they're going to make our comics someday.

But reality: We're going to test Mir, like we're monitorizing Wayland. We're going to pick whatever suits us best. - And I'm not going to be an idiot fanatic of a particular Distribution. I haven't lost my mind yet.
                Last edited by reznov; 09 July 2013, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Why do you even respond to BO$$'s posts?

Comment

Because of the fragmentation that is killing the linux platform. GTK Qt and others aren't doing any favors. Now there will also be Wayland and Mir. Just perfect. Windows has Win32 and that is all. You deal with it and make everything look consistent. Linux is just too fragmented. A company should come and standardize one of those and achieve real market penetration. Then everybody will be more or less forced to support it if they want to be popular => less fragmentation => less annoyance and inconsistency. Unity and now Mir are a step in the right direction. If Canonical also manages to get Ubuntu preinstalled on a lot of PCs the future looks good.
                    The problem is that display managers are much more critical, noboby care if app X uses an other toolkit.
                    The problem is that games and such stuff will directly use them.

Comment

Working...
                    X