Intel/NVIDIA/AMD Compete On Linux GPU Driver Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
    Well, I want Ubuntu to just work. This argument that windows sucks too isn't good enough. Wasn't linux supposed to be better? Instead of hunting on websites for drivers the OS just works. Now that would be another selling point. But we can't have that now can we?
    No, we can't. So I suggest you whine about it on the internet like a crybaby.

Comment

Radeon HD 7000

Guys is it me or it is obvious in all tests, even if they are old games, that Radeon HD 7xxx cards are performing noticeably worse than the older Radeons even with Catalyst running??

Also I ve noticed something like that although less intense with the Cayman islands Radeons HD 69xx both with gallium and catalyst!

Any idea why do we have those regressions even on the blob catalyst??

On the other hand nvidia's blob shows no regressions on latest 6xx series, Nouveau needs some love from nvidia either they like it or not!! I agree with Linus words back then...
      Last edited by djdoo; 08 July 2013, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
        now skipping the useless troll, im impressed with how close r600g is catalyst
        Its looks only like this because the Games engines are very very old. Play something from today e.g. Source Based games or Wine and you see the difference is still huge.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
          Well, I want Ubuntu to just work.
          Doesn't it for you?
          This argument that windows sucks too isn't good enough.
          You argued that most people that are installing Ubuntu don't know about the different drivers. This is absurd, since you have to do it manually on Windows. People that come from Windows expect that they have to do it and Ubuntu offers right after the installation to do it for them. People that are more experienced Linux users know about the different drivers and still can use jockey to install the proprietary ones if they choose to use them. So your argument is invalid.
          Wasn't linux supposed to be better?
          Who did say that? Linux is an OS that was designed as a Unix like OS for x86 based computers. It actually has nothing to do at all with Windows and I can't see any statements from the developers that it is aimed at being better than Windows. It is fanboys that claim Linux to be better than Windows, so that they can feel superior. Welcome to reality, Linux is better for some purposes, BSD for other and Windows again for different purposes. There is no such thing like a better OS, just like there is no such thing as a better flavor of icecream.
          Instead of hunting on websites for drivers the OS just works.
          If you have to hunt on websites for drivers with Ubuntu you are doing something wrong.
          Now that would be another selling point.
          Since the OS will install the driver for you automatically you have already your selling point. But since you claim that this is simply not true:
          But we can't have that now can we?
          Of course we can. You can't, that seems to be your whole point, you are unable to, so every one else must also be to dumb to click on "Activate" in the GUI dialog.

Now back on topic. It is indeed nice that the r600g driver has a pretty good performance, compared with fglrx. Only that fglrx itself does not perform well on Linux, compared to the Windows version, but this possibly may only be true for those older games. Would be really nice to see any modern games in a benchmark.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
            Its looks only like this because the Games engines are very very old. Play something from today e.g. Source Based games or Wine and you see the difference is still huge.
            I don't know about that. Xonotic has plenty of complex shaders and modern features, and users have posted very competitive Unigine benchmark results.

Of course, there will be some engines where the open drivers are less performant (see Reaction Quake), but I don't think that it's as dark as you paint it.

Comment

I have not done any formal benchmarks, but L4D2 and Portal perform about similar in Windows vs. Linux w/ current radeon drivers (and R600_DEBUG=sb). If the open drivers are slower, then not by much.
              Last edited by brent; 08 July 2013, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
                And again only the Old crap games with the ancient Game Engines.....
                I'll reply with this:

Originally posted by Drago View Post
                Another retard!

Comment

The open / closed driver split is a tremendous stumbling block for newbies to Linux in my experience. They don't understand why performance is so bad or something doesn't work. Fortunately it's easier these days to switch between the two (in Ubuntu at least... kinda... not that they're keeping up to date with driver releases).

Comment

Originally posted by djdoo View Post
                    Guys is it me or it is obvious in all tests, even if they are old games, that Radeon HD 7xxx cards are performing noticeably worse than the older Radeons even with Catalyst running??

Also I ve noticed something like that although less intense with the Cayman islands Radeons HD 69xx both with gallium and catalyst!

Any idea why do we have those regressions even on the blob catalyst??

On the other hand nvidia's blob shows no regressions on latest 6xx series, Nouveau needs some love from nvidia either they like it or not!! I agree with Linus words back then...
                    Well, I'd take a guess that the hardware is very different (warranting a complete new radeonsi driver) => even catalysts lacks some optimizations. But that's only a guess.

The open / closed driver split is a tremendous stumbling block for newbies to Linux in my experience. They don't understand why performance is so bad or something doesn't work.
                    Agreed, however IMO making it easy to switch between them isn't the right solution

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                      The open / closed driver split is a tremendous stumbling block for newbies to Linux in my experience. They don't understand why performance is so bad or something doesn't work. Fortunately it's easier these days to switch between the two (in Ubuntu at least... kinda... not that they're keeping up to date with driver releases).
                      A huge source of this problem is the people that continue to recommend catalyst drivers for ATI to improve performance.

If they would just give up and realize that Catalyst drivers suck, always have sucked, and always going to continue to suck and completely disregard them as a possibility then it would make things massively easier for new Linux users to understand.

Instead new users come to places like this and are told that if they want good performance for ATI to install the drivers and they have to struggle through the 'Catalyst is shit' learning curve until they give up and use open source drivers, go back to Windows, or just go out and buy a Nvidia card.

Comment

Working...
                      X