Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel/NVIDIA/AMD Compete On Linux GPU Driver Performance

Phoronix: Intel/NVIDIA/AMD Compete On Linux GPU Driver Performance

After recently delivering a 15-way open-source Intel/AMD/NVIDIA GPU comparison, here are the benchmarks when tossing in the proprietary AMD Catalyst and NVIDIA graphics drivers too. Besides comparing a diverse selection of graphics processors from the three main desktop GPU vendors, this comparison also shows how the current open-source Linux graphics drivers compare to the official proprietary drivers.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Please add open + STC2 package to next benchmarks

STC texture compression expires at 2015 and has expired at some countries at this moment.
    There are packages for installing STC2 as Steam games does not work with pure open source drivers.
    There must be results between the open source and the proprietary driver. And it will be good to know how much this can help the open source drivers performance.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
      What a sad joke are the open source drivers.... Can't they just integrate the closed source drivers? Fuck the GPL or whatever obstacle is in the way. It's more important to have something working than conforming to loser Stallman. Have them preinstalled and only if there is no more support for that particular card than revert to something open source. And in the meantime be nice to nvidia and amd to support cards for as long as possible.
      Aren't you a Ubuntu user? So what exactly is your problem with just using jockey to install the proprietary drivers if you want them? To hard for you?

Comment

I am glad I bought the Radeon 6850 back then and I'm glad I stayed with it. The OSS Performance is pretty good with it.
        Besides that, I'm glad there are open source gfx drivers. I really dont want to use closed source software anymore. The less the better, especially now with that spying shit all over the place.

Thank you AMD for providing the sources, the manpower and thanks everybody else involved in the development of MESA/DRM/DDX and Xorg.

Comment

What a sad joke are the open source drivers.... Can't they just integrate the closed source drivers? Fuck the GPL or whatever obstacle is in the way. It's more important to have something working than conforming to loser Stallman. Have them preinstalled and only if there is no more support for that particular card than revert to something open source. And in the meantime be nice to nvidia and amd to support cards for as long as possible.
          Another retard!

Comment

And again only the Old crap games with the ancient Game Engines.....

Comment

No problem except most people installing Ubuntu don't know anything about open source drivers or proprietary drivers. So they don't know if they should install them or not. So they should default to install them since there is better performance and better power management.
              Most people installing Windows get crappy drivers provided by Microsoft. They in fact are used to installing drivers from a website. Ubuntu offers to do that for them already, what more do you want?

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                Most people installing Windows get crappy drivers provided by Microsoft. They in fact are used to installing drivers from a website. Ubuntu offers to do that for them already, what more do you want?
                Ignore him, he's your (un)friendly neighbourhood troll.

Nice to see the r600g driver like this. Kudos to all involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
                  Ignore him, he's your (un)friendly neighbourhood troll.

Nice to see the r600g driver like this. Kudos to all involved.
                  he is the worst troll i've seen in this forum and an holy markism follower fanboy without the knowledge or capacity to try anything different[Arch is Geniuses OMG, that is just sad]

now skipping the useless troll, im impressed with how close r600g is catalyst, except maybe in some test where it seems the shader is getting bottlenecked or is a driver side hack that r600g don't implement but nonetheless impressed

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                    now skipping the useless troll, im impressed with how close r600g is catalyst, except maybe in some test where it seems the shader is getting bottlenecked or is a driver side hack that r600g don't implement but nonetheless impressed
                    I'm sure that it would be even closed with Vadim's shader optimisation backend. Which suggests that r600g will improve further once LLVM backend stabilises (and is optimised).

Comment

Working...
                    X