Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 44

Thread: Intel/NVIDIA/AMD Compete On Linux GPU Driver Performance

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,646

    Default Intel/NVIDIA/AMD Compete On Linux GPU Driver Performance

    Phoronix: Intel/NVIDIA/AMD Compete On Linux GPU Driver Performance

    After recently delivering a 15-way open-source Intel/AMD/NVIDIA GPU comparison, here are the benchmarks when tossing in the proprietary AMD Catalyst and NVIDIA graphics drivers too. Besides comparing a diverse selection of graphics processors from the three main desktop GPU vendors, this comparison also shows how the current open-source Linux graphics drivers compare to the official proprietary drivers.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=18897

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    124

    Default Please add open + STC2 package to next benchmarks

    STC texture compression expires at 2015 and has expired at some countries at this moment.
    There are packages for installing STC2 as Steam games does not work with pure open source drivers.
    There must be results between the open source and the proprietary driver. And it will be good to know how much this can help the open source drivers performance.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    What a sad joke are the open source drivers.... Can't they just integrate the closed source drivers? Fuck the GPL or whatever obstacle is in the way. It's more important to have something working than conforming to loser Stallman. Have them preinstalled and only if there is no more support for that particular card than revert to something open source. And in the meantime be nice to nvidia and amd to support cards for as long as possible.
    Aren't you a Ubuntu user? So what exactly is your problem with just using jockey to install the proprietary drivers if you want them? To hard for you?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    80

    Default

    I am glad I bought the Radeon 6850 back then and I'm glad I stayed with it. The OSS Performance is pretty good with it.
    Besides that, I'm glad there are open source gfx drivers. I really dont want to use closed source software anymore. The less the better, especially now with that spying shit all over the place.

    Thank you AMD for providing the sources, the manpower and thanks everybody else involved in the development of MESA/DRM/DDX and Xorg.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Russe, Bulgaria
    Posts
    543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    What a sad joke are the open source drivers.... Can't they just integrate the closed source drivers? Fuck the GPL or whatever obstacle is in the way. It's more important to have something working than conforming to loser Stallman. Have them preinstalled and only if there is no more support for that particular card than revert to something open source. And in the meantime be nice to nvidia and amd to support cards for as long as possible.
    Another retard!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    765

    Default

    And again only the Old crap games with the ancient Game Engines.....

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    No problem except most people installing Ubuntu don't know anything about open source drivers or proprietary drivers. So they don't know if they should install them or not. So they should default to install them since there is better performance and better power management.
    Most people installing Windows get crappy drivers provided by Microsoft. They in fact are used to installing drivers from a website. Ubuntu offers to do that for them already, what more do you want?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vim_User View Post
    Most people installing Windows get crappy drivers provided by Microsoft. They in fact are used to installing drivers from a website. Ubuntu offers to do that for them already, what more do you want?
    Ignore him, he's your (un)friendly neighbourhood troll.

    Nice to see the r600g driver like this. Kudos to all involved.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Serafean View Post
    Ignore him, he's your (un)friendly neighbourhood troll.

    Nice to see the r600g driver like this. Kudos to all involved.
    he is the worst troll i've seen in this forum and an holy markism follower fanboy without the knowledge or capacity to try anything different[Arch is Geniuses OMG, that is just sad]

    now skipping the useless troll, im impressed with how close r600g is catalyst, except maybe in some test where it seems the shader is getting bottlenecked or is a driver side hack that r600g don't implement but nonetheless impressed

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,937

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jrch2k8 View Post
    now skipping the useless troll, im impressed with how close r600g is catalyst, except maybe in some test where it seems the shader is getting bottlenecked or is a driver side hack that r600g don't implement but nonetheless impressed
    I'm sure that it would be even closed with Vadim's shader optimisation backend. Which suggests that r600g will improve further once LLVM backend stabilises (and is optimised).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •