Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Mobile: Nouveau vs. The Linux Binary Driver

Phoronix: NVIDIA Mobile: Nouveau vs. The Linux Binary Driver

With the Linux 3.10 kernel having been pulled recently into the Ubuntu 13.10 archive, new benchmarks have been conducted comparing the open-source Nouveau driver against the binary NVIDIA 319.32 Linux graphics driver on a NVIDIA-powered laptop.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It sucks that Nvidia provides no open source drivers or assistance or information to open source developers.

My Nvidia graphics card just broke a week ago, and dissatisfied with Nvidia's attitude against open source, I bought a AMD Radeon graphics card instead.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      It sucks that Nvidia provides no open source drivers or assistance or information to open source developers.

My Nvidia graphics card just broke a week ago, and dissatisfied with Nvidia's attitude against open source, I bought a AMD Radeon graphics card instead.
      And two weeks ago, weren't you trolling about AMD cards?

Anyway, which card did you buy and which driver do you use (open source or proprietary)?

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
        And two weeks ago, weren't you trolling about AMD cards?

Anyway, which card did you buy and which driver do you use (open source or proprietary)?
        Yeah, it really pisses me off that AMD's proprietary drivers are slow to get updated and that AMD is holding progress back due to distributions shipping older versions of X.org because AMD doesn't have any driver out to support the latest Xorg.

I bought the Radeon HD 5450 (512 MB DDR3, passively cooled / fanless / silent) for $30, cheapest card I could find.

Bought the cheapest card I could find just to have a graphics card for the computer since the old graphics cards broke. Later I intend to buy a Intel Haswell system which I will use with the integrated GPU on the CPU which is much faster than this shitty card.

Comment

Yeah, it really pisses me off that AMD's proprietary drivers are slow to get updated and that AMD is holding progress back due to distributions shipping older versions of X.org because AMD doesn't have any driver out to support the latest Xorg.

I bought the Radeon HD 5450 (512 MB DDR3, passively cooled / fanless / silent) for $30, cheapest card I could find.

Bought the cheapest card I could find just to have a graphics card for the computer since the old graphics cards broke. Later I intend to buy a Intel Haswell system which I will use with the integrated GPU on the CPU which is much faster than this shitty card.
          Yeah thats the same situation i'm in, uid, though this laptop does have the 5730 in it. All my systems from now on are just gonna have whatever the latest intel CPU is at the time and integrated graphics and only if I get back into serious gaming will I pick up an AMD card (avoiding Nvidia now that AMD has UVD, HDMI Audio and DPM lol)
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            Yeah thats the same situation i'm in, uid, though this laptop does have the 5730 in it. All my systems from now on are just gonna have whatever the latest intel CPU is at the time and integrated graphics and only if I get back into serious gaming will I pick up an AMD card (avoiding Nvidia now that AMD has UVD, HDMI Audio and DPM lol)
            Yeah, exactly!

Note that AMD have some nice GPU in their CPU though.
            The GPU part in the AMD CPUs are more powerful than the GPU part in the Intel CPUs.

Comment

AMD stutter issue

Yeah, exactly!

The GPU part in the AMD CPUs are more powerful than the GPU part in the Intel CPUs.
              Does anyone know if AMD has fixed the stuttering issue yet with the latest GPUs?

Comment

Yeah, exactly!

True, but power usage is better on Intel CPU/GPUs, which is important for laptops. Also I'm a bit of a fan of Chris Wilson right now with how often he pushes out intel driver updates to fix bugs / regressions / etc, meanwhile it seems that (for the most part) the xf86-video-ati only gets updated every mesa release.
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

It's really bad that they still can't get frequency switching working on a relatively old and popular chip, in a ThinkPad no less.

Comment

Working...
                  X