Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35

Thread: MidnightBSD 0.4 Betters The FreeBSD Desktop

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhux View Post
    So your OS does not use BSD code? Which is it?
    Any non-BSD OS.

    Aww.. I have a dirty feeling of getting a free legal microsoft copy, but now - its license-wise.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brosis View Post
    Any non-BSD OS.
    Wrong. Nice try.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    1,877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brosis View Post
    Any non-BSD OS.

    Aww.. I have a dirty feeling of getting a free legal microsoft copy, but now - its license-wise.
    Yeeeah...how about no. EVERY OS on the planet has some BSD code in it... get over yourself

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhux View Post
    Wrong. Nice try.
    Right. My OS is not released with BSD license. Get a clue.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    215

    Default

    Your OS uses BSD code, unless you use Windows.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhux View Post
    Your OS uses BSD code, unless you use Windows.
    Hah! Windows uses BSD code and my OS doesn't - it's not licensed under BSD so where is it? Fix your license, then come back trolling. But most likely you won't - and nobody cares. A parts bin license is also needed, but only for interoperability - otherwise, we will have proprietary mushroom and no opensource competitor will make it, just because proprietaries will re-use BSD and a little extra to the "top" - exactly why everyone uses MacOSX instead of BSD. Still clueless?

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,440

    Default

    Not sure about Windows (MS has probably completely rewritten the TCP/IP stack by now) but AFAIK pretty much every other OS out there has some BSD-licensed code in it. Even if most of the OS code has a different license (eg Linux kernel and GPL) the BSD or X11 bits retain their original license...

    ... or maybe when you say "parts-bin license" that's code for BSD ?

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    215

    Default

    That brosis guy seems not to understand the meaning of either "code" or "license"...

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    1,877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brosis View Post
    Hah! Windows uses BSD code and my OS doesn't - it's not licensed under BSD so where is it? Fix your license, then come back trolling. But most likely you won't - and nobody cares. A parts bin license is also needed, but only for interoperability - otherwise, we will have proprietary mushroom and no opensource competitor will make it, just because proprietaries will re-use BSD and a little extra to the "top" - exactly why everyone uses MacOSX instead of BSD. Still clueless?
    Name your OS then. Because EVERY OS on the PLANET uses SOME portion of BSD code. Even the linux kernel has BSD code, every GPL project has SOME BSD code. So unless you're about to tell me that you went through, made your own operating system, used ALL GPL projects, checked the source OF those projects and if you found one file that was tagged as BSD-licensed you rewrote that file yourself, and did that for ALL components of your chosen operating system.

    So yeah, name your OS Brosis. Because you had to have written most of it by yourself.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,440

    Default

    Maybe Plan 9 ?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •