Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MidnightBSD 0.4 Betters The FreeBSD Desktop

Phoronix: MidnightBSD 0.4 Betters The FreeBSD Desktop

MidnightBSD 0.4 has been released as an operating system derived from FreeBSD 9.1, but with many extra features, including a new package management tool...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What I find more interesting is their use of GNUStep and ?toil?.

Comment

After all, ?toil? is a pretty good approach to a modern desktop, even 20 years after the design was widely spread.

I still wonder why it hasn't gained a wider audience yet.
      (Also I thought MidnightBSD was dead. I was wrong, obviously.)

Comment

Lets fork everything!

Because talking to people to get your features included in mainline to make _one_ good system is way too much effort.

Comment

Originally posted by YoungManKlaus View Post
          Because talking to people to get your features included in mainline to make _one_ good system is way too much effort.
          The main FreeBSD team is working on a new package management system (pkgng), so they would be very unlikely to want this new packaging system. This is the major difference between PC-BSD and FreeBSD as well - PC-BSD has the PBI system as well as ports.

Comment

Originally posted by Cthulhux View Post
            After all, ?toil? is a pretty good approach to a modern desktop, even 20 years after the design was widely spread.

I still wonder why it hasn't gained a wider audience yet.
            (Also I thought MidnightBSD was dead. I was wrong, obviously.)
            ?toil? is 20 year old desktop that is horrid mac-osx wannabie, its used for midnight only because its also favoring BSD.
            A long list of pathetic excuses why use BSD can be found here.
            Pathetic, because they refuse GPL because they want to link from-ground-up-anti-gpl CDDL (and yet, they don't!) and "other licenses" (such as wonderful EULA);
            they also want to embed code in documentation.... -_________- completely omitting the fact that author can grant GPL for code and say BSD or FDL for documentation.

But, if you want to help develop some proprietary 20-year old embedded UI, then this solution is pretty *fine*, as it gets. (Stupid Qt asks money for proprietary, when it should get all for free, you know).

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
              (Stupid Qt asks money for proprietary, when it should get all for free, you know).
              You can develop proprietary applications in Qt for free... It's just if you modify the Qt source code itself that you need to release your changes under LGPL unless you get a license from Digia.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
                ?toil? is 20 year old desktop that is horrid mac-osx wannabie
                Actually, OSX is a horrid NeXTStep wannabe - which was a full-featured BSD.
                Next time try to read more about the basics.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                  You can develop proprietary applications in Qt for free... It's just if you modify the Qt source code itself that you need to release your changes under LGPL unless you get a license from Digia.
                  You need to static-link Qt and for that you need proprietary license from (pay to) Digia.
                  If you don't static-link or don't release, then you can use GPLed Qt, but none of the proprietaries can do that.

Originally posted by YoungManKlaus View Post
                  Is forking that whats angers you so much? Well, don't worry, most of the times its not even forked - its just becomes closed source. Thats forking in a BSD sense.

Originally posted by Cthulhux View Post
                  Actually, OSX is a horrid NeXTStep wannabe - which was a full-featured BSD.
                  Next time try to read more about the basics.
                  Macosx has similar interface to macos classic, I know this because I worked on mac in 90ties. There was no AWM-style menu, but that's it.
                  "Full-featured BSD" - whats that? The only "full featured BSD" I know, its when "parts-bin BSD" becomes proprietary under EULA (like MacOSX), is it what you mean by "full featured BSD", are they targeting that, those "Free Software, but no GPL" geniuses?
                  Its obvious to me why they used ?toil?, not because its any "good", only because its "BSD" - that's moronic, unless its just for laughs.
                  Last edited by brosis; 07 July 2013, 03:20 PM.

Comment

So your OS does not use BSD code? Which is it?

Comment

Working...
                    X