AMD Catalyst 8.3 Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eonghk View Post
    With 8.3, my HD 2400 PRO AGP finally works.But it's strange and really slow especially using vmware-workstation.
    Anyone have the same problem?
    Can you post some more details of the steps you took to get the driver working?
    Or use pastebin.com to post the contents of your xorg.conf ?
    I am still finding no joy with fglrx 8-3 on my HD 2600 XT AGP

Comment

• Hi,
      My saphire HD2600 pro agp works too. Sometimes it works fast and sometimes works slow. I don't now why it is.I have archlinux.
      Last edited by wojak; 08 March 2008, 05:14 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by wojak View Post
        Hi,
        My saphire HD2600 pro agp works too. Sometimes it works fast and sometimes works slow. I don't now why it is.I have archlinux.
        What kind of motherboard chipset do you have?
        How much RAM is there on your motherboard?
        What kind of CPU do you have?
        Do you run 32-bit or 64-bit Linux and which kernel version?
        How much memory is there on your AGP card?

I know I ask a lot of questions but to understand why one card works and another doesn't I think all those answers can be necessary.
        Please also see the other thread at http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...9&goto=newpost
        ?

It would be VERY helpful of you and others if you can provide such information.
        Just stating that your AGP RadeonHD 2xxx card works is already very helpful because it proves there are things possible, but it's frustrating to those of us for who it doesn't work because information is missing (mostly from AMD/ATI).

By the way I did manage to get many versions of fglrx working on my RadeonHD 2600XT AGP card but with direct rendering turned off, so very slow. For me there is no point in using fglrx that way since radeonhd can do the same but more consistently.
        Are you sure your card is working with DRI switched on?

Mine has 512 MB DDR3 but the driver detects 256MB DDR3.
        That is at least one thing I can see going wrong in my /var/log/Xorg.0.log

If it is not too much trouble for you, could you please use http://pastebin.com to put the content of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and /var/log/Xorg.0.log there and provide the links to those files?

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisr View Post
          So glxgears runs and gives me > 3100 fps, with no trace of corruption on a 1680x1050 screen. Yay.

Playing videos using xine and XVideo no longer crashes the Xserver when xine exits, but does crash the Xserver when the video file reaches its end. The backtrace suggests an illegal memcpy in glesx.so, as called by XVidPutImage(). At the bottom of the stack trace is the function FontFileCompleteXLFD(), and there's not much information between the two.

World of Warcraft/Wine 0.9.56 (OpenGL mode) still locks up the Xserver (but not the laptop) when run full-screen at 1680x1050. However, it seems to run OK in a 1400x900 window, and that is what I am doing at the moment. At 1680x1050, WoW's login screen renders correctly and the music plays in the background, but none of the animations work and the mouse and keyboard do not respond.

So on balance, I think I'll be sticking with 8.3 for a bit longer. However, being stuck at 1400x900 is annoying. Also, WoW's rendering does some weird things unless I provide WoW with the following options:

SET pixelShaders "0"
          SET M2UseShaders "0"
          SET M2USePixelShaders "1"

This is on a Thinkpad T60p, with a FireGL V5250 chip, and running Fedora 8. The laptop uses an Intel Core 2 Duo running at 2.33 GHz, and has 2 GB RAM.
          compiz works fine with a lot of screen corruption, but the glxinfo shows mesa and not ATI as the openGL provider. glxgears is coming to ~500. It is just that one can see the screen with Xgl enabled, while that was not the case with 8.455 driver.

Comment

• Is this what they did all last months? There is still a lot of childish bugs - I can not work with this hardware.
            I'm fed up. Good bye ATI. Hello Nvidia.

Comment

• The second nVidia releases a GeForce 8- or 9-series AGP Card, I will be gone too.... back over to them ...

Comment

• I have:
                MB - gigabyte 8IPE1000-G/L - intel 865PE
                Procesor - pentium 4 northwood 3.2
                Ram 2x512 MB
                I run 32 bit linux with kernel.2.6.24.3-1
                On my AGP card is 512 MB ddr2.

My xorg.conf: http://pastebin.com/m18d3cc63

My Xorg.0.log: http://pastebin.com/m34997760
                Last edited by wojak; 08 March 2008, 10:10 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by wojak View Post
                  I have:
                  MB - gigabyte 8IPE1000-G/L - intel 865PE
                  Procesor - pentium 4 northwood 3.2
                  Ram 2x512 MB
                  I run 32 bit linux with kernel.2.6.24.3-1
                  On my AGP card is 512 MB ddr2.
                  Thanks, that might explain why fglrx 8-3 works for you but not for me: your other PC hardware and Linux kernel version are vastly different.

Comment

• After having upgraded to Hardy (which uses the 2.6.24 kernel branch) suspend works fine with Compiz. But there are a few other problems: using Xv output I still get flickering with Compiz enabled. This is no good. I guess I'll just have to stick to X11 output for now. I'm just happy I can suspend and have pretty effects.

Peter

Comment

• Have anyone had any success using mythtv with this driver?

mplayer works fine with XV but mythtv displays wrong colors on playback using XV. (and mplayer gets the same problem too, if i start it after having used mythtv to playback a file; restart X and mplayer works like a charm)

This is listed as a known issue in the release notes, but i was wondering if it could be something with my config, or just a mythtv problem. Also, why does it affect mplayer?

I'm using xorg-1.3 and stuck with an RS690

Comment

Working...
                      X