No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 8.3 Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does that mean that VideoOverlay is better?

Comment

• If you happen to need one of the formats which VideoOverlay supports and TexturedVideo does not support, then it's much better

We can add more modes to TexturedVideo support so over time it will probably displace VideoOverlay. For Avivo chips (which don't have the same degree of video processing built into the overlay) VideoOverlay is not an option.
      Last edited by bridgman; 21 March 2008, 06:36 PM.
      Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        If you happen to need one of the formats which VideoOverlay supports and TexturedVideo does not support, then it's much better

We can add more modes to TexturedVideo support so over time it will probably displace VideoOverlay. For Avivo chips (which don't have the same degree of video processing built into the overlay) VideoOverlay is not an option.
        Any hint if XvMC support can be true through Textured Video in the near future??

Comment

• Xine can playback dvd video with xxmc driver!
          That means fglrx already supports XvMC??

Comment

• Originally posted by djdoo View Post
            Xine can playback dvd video with xxmc driver!
            That means fglrx already supports XvMC??
            No, it just means that the xine xxmc driver falls back to regular xv if xvmc is not available.

If you do "mplayer -vc ffmpeg12mc -vo xvmc file.mpg" you'll get no video, since that does not fall back.

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              If you happen to need one of the formats which VideoOverlay supports and TexturedVideo does not support, then it's much better

I happen to have an x200 chipset on an Intel board.

Textured video works for me with 4 output ports as well.
              But I encounter horizontal tearing which gets pronounced in fullscreen mode.

Video Overlay works as well but gives only 1 port.
              i dont encounter any tearing in it but when playing HD 720p videos output jumps up and down which is a headache to view. It works fine on lower resolutions.

A peculiar thing is the jumping goes away on Textured video but the tearing stays. Can the problem on any of the modes go away s I can watch HD videos.

My xorg.sonf goes like this :-

Code:
              Section "Device"
                      Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]"
                      Driver      "fglrx"
                      Option      "VideoOverlay" "on"
                      Option      "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "on"
                      Option      "Textured2D" "off"
                      Option      "TexturedXrender" "off"
                      Option      "UseFastTLS" "1"
                      Option      "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
                      Option      "TexturedVideo" "off"

Comment

• Originally posted by ejs1920 View Post
                No, it just means that the xine xxmc driver falls back to regular xv if xvmc is not available.

If you do "mplayer -vc ffmpeg12mc -vo xvmc file.mpg" you'll get no video, since that does not fall back.
                Yep you 're right man...
                Code:
                vo_xvmc: X-Video extension 2.2
                vo_xvmc: No X-Video MotionCompensation Extension on :0.0
                Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device.

Comment

• lost resolutions

When I installed this version (8.47 on Debian), I lost many resolutions. I was running 1400 X 1050 at 85Hz on an external screen of my thinkpad t42p. After installing, that resolution along with many others was no longer available. I use HorizSync, VertRefresh and DisplaySize in my xorg.conf in order to get all of the resolutions properly. I switched back to 8.45.5 and the resolutions came back. Has anyone else seen this loss of available resolutions?

Here is the output from lspci:

VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M10 NT [FireGL Mobility T2] (rev 80)

Comment

• isn't it that time of month already?
                    when comes the new driver? although 8.3 rocks pretty much for me!

Comment

• Originally posted by ig-88 View Post
                      isn't it that time of month already?
                      when comes the new driver? although 8.3 rocks pretty much for me!
                      i do not know but i am waiting too... i hope that 8.4 have the color corruption fix about RENDER ( the one that maps RGB -> BGR )... i want to play with my epsxe and use KDE 4 without having to change between the fglrx and xf86-video-ati.

Comment

Working...
                      X