No announcement yet.

Radeon DRM: Dynamic Power Management Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A year ago, I open a topic about this power consuming illness of AMD GPUs.
    I am using forced "low" clock at my system. And I am also happy with it. But now, It's fully dynamic.
    Thank you for this patches.

I own a power meter and I know that there are 10W difference between catalyst and old DPM "low" settings.
    I like to see If I have same idle power consumption with catalyst.

I am looking for rc1 release to test it.
    I also could compile my own kernel but don't know how to compile it with drm-next.
    Regards,
    Erdem

Comment

Just compiled the latest drm-next-3.11 and it works fine for my HD6870.
      Sadly, it tries to kill my laptop with HD3200 (which suffers from CPU overheating, about 10-15?C over the Catalyst temperatures, so I test your new drivers only sporadically on this machine), as soon as the radeon module is loaded the fan in that machines stops spinning, until the CPU reaches 95?C and the BIOS starts the fan again to prevent damage. As soon as the temperature falls below 95?C the fan stops again.
      If you need more data, let me know what you need, I hope that these overheating issues will be fixed sometime (bug report I found for this issue is now over a year old).

Comment

... and how that is play with powerXpress ?

Hi,

I have been very following the 2 threads about Radeon power management updates very carefully, but only read very few things about its relation to powerxpress support...

I am the happy owner of an ACER 3820TG laptop (hybrid intel Ironlake + radeon 6550M), but had to resolve to switch the radeon OFF to avoid over heating / over consumption
        I am considering to give radeon DPM a try, but I'd like to know what to expect on the hybrid graphics front :
        - is the new power management code supporting powerxpress ?
        - if so how to switch between IGP and DGP ?

Comment

Originally posted by sfievet View Post
          Hi,

I have been very following the 2 threads about Radeon power management updates very carefully, but only read very few things about its relation to powerxpress support...

I am the happy owner of an ACER 3820TG laptop (hybrid intel Ironlake + radeon 6550M), but had to resolve to switch the radeon OFF to avoid over heating / over consumption
          I am considering to give radeon DPM a try, but I'd like to know what to expect on the hybrid graphics front :
          - is the new power management code supporting powerxpress ?
          - if so how to switch between IGP and DGP ?
          You can enable/disable the dGPU vis vgaswitcheroo. DPM only handles power management when the dGPU is powered on. When the dGPU is off, it's not using any power.

Comment

Reported to early that it works on my HD6870, after the next reboot I got artifacts all over the screen as soon as the radeon driver was loaded.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
              Reported to early that it works on my HD6870, after the next reboot I got artifacts all over the screen as soon as the radeon driver was loaded.
              I have the same card and the same issue. I was told that the problem originates somewhere within the automated power level changes. You can try using the drm-next-3.11-wip-5 branch since it doesn't have that feature enabled, though this causes performance loss since the card always runs at the lowest power level (as far as I understand it). If you're not planning on running any heavy 3D apps, then it's a nice interim solution until the problem is fixed.

My card's running at a nice 45?C.

Comment

Is it possible to compile this new code as a module against an older kernel?

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
                  Is it possible to compile this new code as a module against an older kernel?
                  Not very easily... It would have to all be back-ported.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                    You can enable/disable the dGPU vis vgaswitcheroo. DPM only handles power management when the dGPU is powered on. When the dGPU is off, it's not using any power.

So HDMI audio is mostly done, DPM is done, UVD is done, 3D is great on everything except RadeonSI... That pretty much just leaves PowerXPress unless im missing some crucial feature of Catalyst (ignoring CrossFire, which im not even sure is supported on Linux to begin with)... Any plans (not you specifically, but the paid FOSS staff) to work on PowerXPress under X, or is that basically on hold until Wayland as to not duplicate the work?
                    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

@Ericg: Besides CrossFire, there is more missing/incomplete stuff I think.

ZeroCore
                      DisplayPort multi-streaming
                      OpenGL is only at 3.2 (vs. 4.3 for the proprietary driver)
                      Antialiasing other than MSAA and MLAA
                      GPU compute support is still very basic

Comment

Working...
                      X