AMD Radeon HD 8670D: Gallium3D vs. Catalyst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    It would likely require Linux kernel changes first to expose the DMI as non-root, otherwise it isn't too useful to begin with since most users aren't running as root. Just checked the code and in conditions where there is accurate DMI and PTS is run as root it will read the operating frequency, DIMM configuration, and RAM manufacturer / model (though not many systems get the manufacturer/model) but yeah in terms of memory latencies and other details, that would be nice but isn't a big ticket item and no commercial customers have requested such support either, but any patches are welcome.
    I'm not fixing your program to make you more money. If you want to play the part of the hardware reviewer then put the effort in to your site that everyone else in your field does.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
      I'm not fixing your program to make you more money. If you want to play the part of the hardware reviewer then put the effort in to your site that everyone else in your field does.
      The Phoronix Test Suite is open-source and not licensed. I nor any commercial customers are the ones asking for RAM latency requests, thus not commercial related. For Phoronix readers, if anything more advanced system tables would just be served to non-AdBlock users if I were to add the support, all the others can just use the existing approaches: ask in the forums or Twitter.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

The Phoronix Test Suite is open-source and not licensed. I nor any commercial customers are the ones asking for RAM latency requests, thus not commercial related. For Phoronix readers, if anything more advanced system tables would just be served to non-AdBlock users if I were to add the support, all the others can just use the existing approaches: ask in the forums or Twitter.
        You may not sell the software but you derive income from the ads on the reviews you post on your own site, without PTS you'd be in a similar position to the Windows review sites. Given the quality of your reviews the mantra of "Patches welcome" isn't all that compelling.

Meh, go ahead and try blocking adblock users, we will find a way around, we always do. In the end it'll be the same more trouble then it's worth to try and stop us from killing your internet kittens.

As I've said before though, I have no aversion to paying for a site, provided it's content is actually worth the expense. Yet so far I've seen nothing posted here that has shown to be worth the expense and your apparent lack of ability to give a damn when your existing paid readers where seeing ads they where paying not to see since you got to charge them and they had to give you ad hits allowing you to make yet more money off of it.

Comment

PTS doesn't break, it just sits there waiting for the process to be killed. Could add a kill command to the test profile but there isn't any sane way to do that unless just having it sit and wait for an arbitrary amount of time to kill the process, hoping the test completed in that amount of time.
          Please do it, or please just don't use PTS. But *please* bench Left 4 Dead 2.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

STC2 textures - on or off? -

With open source drivers in AMD GPUs you cannot play Steam games but ....
            I
            As STC2 and 3 texture compresion is copyrighted until 2015 at some countries and not at others, if you are at other countries or at your own risk, you can inistall

STC2 package to make it work.

I think that this test must include Gallium 3d and Gallium 3d + STC2, and we will read the improvement that this STC2 package does and what can be expected when in 2015 it will be copyright expired and as free software be able to be improved.

Comment

not everything should be done in kernel

It would likely require Linux kernel changes first to expose the DMI as non-root, otherwise it isn't too useful to begin with since most users aren't running as root. Just checked the code and in conditions where there is accurate DMI and PTS is run as root it will read the operating frequency, DIMM configuration, and RAM manufacturer / model (though not many systems get the manufacturer/model) but yeah in terms of memory latencies and other details, that would be nice but isn't a big ticket item and no commercial customers have requested such support either, but any patches are welcome.
              having a non-root access would classify as information leak security bug (at least dmidecode requires access to /dev/mem).
              you know you can have suid binary that would read and dump the data (or just run dmidecode) and let the rest of PTS work with that dump

Comment

It's at 2133MHz as controlled from the BIOS/UEFI but the Catalyst driver as was reported to the result table reports 1066MHz.
                I doubt it states 2133 MHz in the Bios, most BIOS I've seen just stated it DDR3-2133 or just 2133, never with MHz.

And not only Catalyst reports it as 1066 MHz, every ramtool in the world will report DDD3 2133 with 1066 MHz, because that's the bus speed of the RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                  Name one existing hardware review site that contributes to the linux kernel.

Comment

Honestly

Actually gallium in confront of amd drivers is good like "shit".

Sorry but bench feedback is shocking. Is it possible open programmers are not able to optimize our currently devices? Morover several devices looses owner supports in newest linux kernel.... and OS distros.

so problems are still great, men!!! the truth is that kernel and open cannot optimize hardware.
                    Last edited by Azrael5; 06 July 2013, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                      Actually gallium in confront of amd drivers is good like "shit".

Sorry but bench feedback is shocking. Is it possible open programmers are not able to optimize our currently devices? Morover several devices looses owner supports in newest linux kernel.... and OS distros.

so problems are still great, men!!! the truth is that kernel and open cannot optimize hardware.
                      Are you retard or something?

Comment

Working...
                      X