Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAD Game Tools To Take On Linux Debuggers

Phoronix: RAD Game Tools To Take On Linux Debuggers

RAD Game Tools, the video game development tooling company responsible for Telemetry and Pixomatic and other high-end development products, is looking to work on improving Linux debuggers for game developers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Roberts then followed up with another Tweet, "To be more clear: RAD is looking for developers to write debuggers. We are working on lldb on Linux currently..."
    Seriously? The giant's share of the work is coming from Apple. RAD is either exaggerating their intent, talking out their ass, and or both. What little they are working on is testing and bug tracking to make sure LLDB is not broken on Linux. LLDB has been working on Linux for nearly a year.

Comment

I look forward to LLDB contributions.

Their proprietary software they can keep to themselves though.

Open source or fuck off!

Comment

I'm really excited about this. Existing Linux debuggers suck ass to use. I'd be perfectly happy paying for a good debugger front-end (I'd want it to be talking to gdb or lldb though).

Comment

The guys at RAD are pretty... rad. They're right over in Kirkland (next city over from Redmond) if I recall. We used many of their products rather extensively in our games.

So far as some of the previous comments... when FOSS actually proves capable of producing game middleware worth a damn, let me know. I'd rather have quality proprietary tools to make great games than Free tools to make mediocre games.

Comment

This is good news

Linux debuggers are powerful, but not very user-friendly compared to what you get on other platforms. Anything to improve that is nice.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
              The guys at RAD are pretty... rad. They're right over in Kirkland (next city over from Redmond) if I recall. We used many of their products rather extensively in our games.

So far as some of the previous comments... when FOSS actually proves capable of producing game middleware worth a damn, let me know. I'd rather have quality proprietary tools to make great games than Free tools to make mediocre games.
              It is in their decision to make it Open Source or proprietary. How many good games have you made in your life using proprietary tools?

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post

What do you mean "proves capable"? FOSS is capable of producing anything that proprietary companies are (and more). It's just a matter of someone doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                  What do you mean "proves capable"? FOSS is capable of producing anything that proprietary companies are (and more). It's just a matter of someone doing it.
                  Heh, if that was sarcasm, well done indeed, sir.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    Heh, if that was sarcasm, well done indeed, sir.
                    Why? There are many examples of FLOSS beating proprietary in every possible way. However, if you meant game business then it's a different thing and downsides lay in many levels, not just FLOSS.

Comment

Working...
                    X