Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harlan: A Scheme-Based GPU Programming Language

Phoronix: Harlan: A Scheme-Based GPU Programming Language

Harlan is a new research programming language focused around taking advantage of modern GPUs. The Harlan language syntax is derived from Scheme while the language itself currently compiles to OpenCL...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So (I guess (this (language (will (have (((an) ((easy) (syntax) too)))))?)))

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
      Yeah, too bad this language syntax is designed to make the compiler happy instead of making the programmers happy.

They forgot the "human factor". See http://www.artima.com/intv/ruby4.html.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
        Yeah I don't see why they thought being Scheme-baesd was a great idea. I was hoping for something more simple, but I think just writing in straight OpenCL would be easier than this stuff. Really though, I like the idea of having a language that will just compile to OpenCL code, but this doesn't really fit the bill of making things easier. I think something like Python for OpenCL would be great.

Hell, why don't we just come up with some other convoluted programming language that splits itself off compiling code for the CPU to native x86/arm/whatever platform, and code for the GPU to OpenCL, without requiring any input from the programmer whatsoever!

/dreaming

Comment

Working...
        X