Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 112

Thread: LXDE Desktop Being Ported To Qt

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,389

    Default LXDE Desktop Being Ported To Qt

    Phoronix: LXDE Desktop Being Ported To Qt

    The lightweight LXDE desktop will be slowly transitioning from being GTK2-based to using the Qt tool-kit...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQwMjg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    240

    Default

    I feel GTK coms a bit more and more redundant...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    344

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    The lightweight LXDE desktop will be slowly transitioning from being GTK2-based to using the Qt tool-kit...

    Did they say why they wanted to port to Qt? Considering that there is already Razor-Qt which fills the same niche and considering that a port from GTK+ to Qt amounts to a complete rewrite (a port from GTK+2 to GTK+3 is quite simple btw), the whole plan seems rather pointless.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    908

    Default

    Now Gtk _is_ redundant since Red Hat doesn't have to fear Qt that much since it's been open sourced a long ago. Qt is also growing at the expense of Gtk, I recall Linus moving his app from Gtk to Qt, Canonical moving slowly to Qt.

    Fact is Qt5 is a much better alternative to Gtk 2/3 with lots of libs, I've been doing Gtk+ for a few yeas but I'm planning to move to Qt as well, I tried qt5 out it looks great.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mark45 View Post
    Now Gtk _is_ redundant since Red Hat doesn't have to fear Qt that much since it's been open sourced a long ago. Qt is also growing at the expense of Gtk, I recall Linus moving his app from Gtk to Qt, Canonical moving slowly to Qt.

    Fact is Qt5 is a much better alternative to Gtk 2/3 with lots of libs, I've been doing Gtk+ for a few yeas but I'm planning to move to Qt as well, I tried qt5 out it looks great.
    Hmm, PCman said porting from GTK2-> Qt is easyer than porting to GTK3.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    344

    Default

    Qt is by far a better choice when doing cross-platform development, that's true. However, API-wise, I prefer cairo over the Qt equivalent, as it allows me to plot to PDF files without having a display connected (if I recall correctly, QPrinter needs an QApplication object which needs DISPLAY to be set. And QConsoleApplication seems not to work in conjunction with QPrinter -- not checked if this is still true for Qt5).

    Also, there is a better binding support for GTK compared to Qt, simply because not every language supports the usage C++ libraries - this is true for e.g. Haskell. While there _are_ haskell bindings for Qt, they can't be considered usable.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    344

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thaodan View Post
    Hmm, PCman said porting from GTK2-> Qt is easier than porting to GTK3.
    I am inclined to doubt that, as long as your code is well-written.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thaodan View Post
    I feel GTK coms a bit more and more redundant...
    I would be happy to see the Linux desktop ecosystem go towards a single GUI-toolkit world. It would defragment things a little bit at least and ease app development. And probably lead to a better desktop experience.
    Last edited by jukkan; 07-04-2013 at 08:21 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    175

    Thumbs up

    Hey, what happened to funkystar (or whatever his nick was), that Qt/KDE hater?

    But yay! Qt is pretty awesome these days

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    117

    Default

    Maybe the difficulties of third party dealing with libgtk3 instabilities, influenced the decision.
    Minor releases generated constant complains of breakage from developers and theme creators.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •