Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: LXDE Desktop Being Ported To Qt

Default LXDE Desktop Being Ported To Qt

Phoronix: LXDE Desktop Being Ported To Qt

The lightweight LXDE desktop will be slowly transitioning from being GTK2-based to using the Qt tool-kit...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQwMjg

I feel GTK coms a bit more and more redundant...

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    The lightweight LXDE desktop will be slowly transitioning from being GTK2-based to using the Qt tool-kit...

Did they say why they wanted to port to Qt? Considering that there is already Razor-Qt which fills the same niche and considering that a port from GTK+ to Qt amounts to a complete rewrite (a port from GTK+2 to GTK+3 is quite simple btw), the whole plan seems rather pointless.

Now Gtk _is_ redundant since Red Hat doesn't have to fear Qt that much since it's been open sourced a long ago. Qt is also growing at the expense of Gtk, I recall Linus moving his app from Gtk to Qt, Canonical moving slowly to Qt.

Fact is Qt5 is a much better alternative to Gtk 2/3 with lots of libs, I've been doing Gtk+ for a few yeas but I'm planning to move to Qt as well, I tried qt5 out it looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by mark45 View Post
    Now Gtk _is_ redundant since Red Hat doesn't have to fear Qt that much since it's been open sourced a long ago. Qt is also growing at the expense of Gtk, I recall Linus moving his app from Gtk to Qt, Canonical moving slowly to Qt.

Fact is Qt5 is a much better alternative to Gtk 2/3 with lots of libs, I've been doing Gtk+ for a few yeas but I'm planning to move to Qt as well, I tried qt5 out it looks great.
    Hmm, PCman said porting from GTK2-> Qt is easyer than porting to GTK3.

Qt is by far a better choice when doing cross-platform development, that's true. However, API-wise, I prefer cairo over the Qt equivalent, as it allows me to plot to PDF files without having a display connected (if I recall correctly, QPrinter needs an QApplication object which needs DISPLAY to be set. And QConsoleApplication seems not to work in conjunction with QPrinter -- not checked if this is still true for Qt5).

Also, there is a better binding support for GTK compared to Qt, simply because not every language supports the usage C++ libraries - this is true for e.g. Haskell. While there _are_ haskell bindings for Qt, they can't be considered usable.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaodan View Post
    Hmm, PCman said porting from GTK2-> Qt is easier than porting to GTK3.
    I am inclined to doubt that, as long as your code is well-written.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaodan View Post
    I feel GTK coms a bit more and more redundant...
    I would be happy to see the Linux desktop ecosystem go towards a single GUI-toolkit world. It would defragment things a little bit at least and ease app development. And probably lead to a better desktop experience.
    Last edited by jukkan; 07-04-2013 at 08:21 AM.

Thumbs up

Hey, what happened to funkystar (or whatever his nick was), that Qt/KDE hater?

But yay! Qt is pretty awesome these days

Maybe the difficulties of third party dealing with libgtk3 instabilities, influenced the decision.
    Minor releases generated constant complains of breakage from developers and theme creators.