Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LXDE Desktop Being Ported To Qt

Hybrid View

Default LXDE Desktop Being Ported To Qt

Phoronix: LXDE Desktop Being Ported To Qt

The lightweight LXDE desktop will be slowly transitioning from being GTK2-based to using the Qt tool-kit...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQwMjg

I feel GTK coms a bit more and more redundant...

Now Gtk _is_ redundant since Red Hat doesn't have to fear Qt that much since it's been open sourced a long ago. Qt is also growing at the expense of Gtk, I recall Linus moving his app from Gtk to Qt, Canonical moving slowly to Qt.

Fact is Qt5 is a much better alternative to Gtk 2/3 with lots of libs, I've been doing Gtk+ for a few yeas but I'm planning to move to Qt as well, I tried qt5 out it looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by mark45 View Post
    Now Gtk _is_ redundant since Red Hat doesn't have to fear Qt that much since it's been open sourced a long ago. Qt is also growing at the expense of Gtk, I recall Linus moving his app from Gtk to Qt, Canonical moving slowly to Qt.

Fact is Qt5 is a much better alternative to Gtk 2/3 with lots of libs, I've been doing Gtk+ for a few yeas but I'm planning to move to Qt as well, I tried qt5 out it looks great.
    Hmm, PCman said porting from GTK2-> Qt is easyer than porting to GTK3.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaodan View Post
    Hmm, PCman said porting from GTK2-> Qt is easier than porting to GTK3.
    I am inclined to doubt that, as long as your code is well-written.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaodan View Post
    Hmm, PCman said porting from GTK2-> Qt is easyer than porting to GTK3.
    That seems very unlikely. To my knowledge, any code that compiled without deprecation warnings on the newer Gtk+2 versions stands a pretty good chance of compiling with little or no modifications on 3.x.

During the Gnome 2.x to 3.x transition, most of the core Gnome apps supported compiling against both, with a ./configure flag to select one or the other. Migration consisted pretty much of fixing code to not use deprecated functions, adding a few ifdefs to cope with the few cases where the API was incompatible, then eventually dropping the 2.x support once everything was stable on 3.x.

Of course, the key detail there is "deprecated API". If your Gtk 2.x code makes heavy use of interfaces that have been discouraged for years on 2.x, then you *will* have compatibility issues due to those interfaces being removed in 3.x. But if your 2.x code is in pretty good condition, the porting effort should be negligible.
    Last edited by Delgarde; 07-04-2013 at 06:58 PM.

It occurs to me that if LXDE is moving to QT, and Canonical have built a QTMir backend, that means future LXDE should be able to run natively on Mir with minimal effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Delgarde View Post
    That seems very unlikely. To my knowledge, any code that compiled without deprecation warnings on the newer Gtk+2 versions stands a pretty good chance of compiling with little or no modifications on 3.x.
    I'm pretty sure that's not true of widget theming, which pretty much every desktop environment seems to do - in fact, supposedly even within 3.x new versions often break themes developed for older GTK 3 versions. There's probably other stuff that normal applications don't have to do that's broken from 2.x to 3.x too. Worse still, this appears to be intentional - the GTK developers have said they don't care about non-GNOME consumers of GTK.

Qt is by far a better choice when doing cross-platform development, that's true. However, API-wise, I prefer cairo over the Qt equivalent, as it allows me to plot to PDF files without having a display connected (if I recall correctly, QPrinter needs an QApplication object which needs DISPLAY to be set. And QConsoleApplication seems not to work in conjunction with QPrinter -- not checked if this is still true for Qt5).

Also, there is a better binding support for GTK compared to Qt, simply because not every language supports the usage C++ libraries - this is true for e.g. Haskell. While there _are_ haskell bindings for Qt, they can't be considered usable.

Maybe the difficulties of third party dealing with libgtk3 instabilities, influenced the decision.
    Minor releases generated constant complains of breakage from developers and theme creators.