Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt 5.1 Finally Released With Lots Of Good Features

Phoronix: Qt 5.1 Finally Released With Lots Of Good Features

One day after the Qt 4.8.5 release, after facing many delays Qt 5.1 is finally available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not really, the KDE agreement makes sure that nothing bad happens to the Qt code. It can't be turned proprietary.

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
      A perfect match for Mir. At least the contributor agreements are similar. Sad.
      There is zero incentive for anyone trying to close Qt. Such a move would be a financial suicide.

The current arrangement allows for closed-source companies to directly fund Qt development, resulting in a GPL toolkit for all of us. I can live with that.

Comment

and wayland support improved a lot and scenegraph + shaders renders like a freaking beast, this version should allow very badass effects on the crappiest GPU you can install android on and make your high end phone/tablet GPU feels like an 7950 and they put some nice effort in support AVX/AVX2[my bulldozer CPU liky] and C++11 in this revision.

now i have to wait only for subsurfaces to land in qt5.1.1 or 5.2 to begin porting my embedded projects to qt5+wayland+mer [ODroid X2]

great job digia and qt community for this release

Comment

A perfect match for Mir. At least the contributor agreements are similar. Sad.
          btw Mir is not supported by Qt/Community or Digia, it only lives downstream and it doesn't support half Qt yet including scenegraph or glsl, QMir basically support the stuff you see in their demos [texture render/surface reposition/ full screen render/ some simple effects as shadows] but nothing more, so in theory you can't simply use Qt to reach wayland and mir yet if you use scenegraph[QML] because it will segfault or try to fallback to X11 and segfault.

before ubuntu 14.04 i won't even bother in try complex Qt apps with mir

Comment

Yes, really. Digias opportunity to damage the software freedom can only be countered by KDEs equal right to also damage the software freedom. This is not MAD like the cold war nuclear situation. This is KDE and Digia both holding a gun against freedom. If I where in charge of either I would immediately revoke my rights to go against freedom. KDEs situation is the worst. By being moral and just to software freedom they have to kill off the freedom and relicense to an non-free license. That is like killing your own family. The contributor license sucks as much as KDEs rights.
            this is soooo illogical that i can understand if you are trolling or confirming the post, rewrite your post when you are sober plz

in case you are trolling, kde can license Qt code as lgpl or gpl or gpl2 or whatever free license they like so i can't see your point [did you read the actual agreement?]

in case you are not trolling, yes KDE make sure digia stay clean and abide to the GPL version[which again digia is the first interested party in keep the community on, otherwise they just burned all the cash they paid to nokia for no reason]

Comment

Same day the full Qt port of LXDE has been announced:
              Many users have read about our recent Qt-related work in prior blog posts. The GTK+ version of LXDE is still under development, but we did some experiments with Qt, too. Now I have some things to show you. :-) Here is a preview screenshot for LXDE-Qt. At the bottom of the screen is lxpanel-qt, the Qt [...]

Wonder when GIMP follows? ;-)

Comment

Yes, really. Digias opportunity to damage the software freedom can only be countered by KDEs equal right to also damage the software freedom. This is not MAD like the cold war nuclear situation. This is KDE and Digia both holding a gun against freedom. If I where in charge of either I would immediately revoke my rights to go against freedom. KDEs situation is the worst. By being moral and just to software freedom they have to kill off the freedom and relicense to an non-free license. That is like killing your own family. The contributor license sucks as much as KDEs rights.
                You... a human being literally can't be this stupid.

Its complete and utter financial suicide for Digia to close up Qt, and its complete and utter reputational and credibility suicide for KDE to NOT open up Qt if Digia WOULD close up.
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                  Wonder when GIMP follows? ;-)
                  When GIMP stops using the GIMP Toolkit? Somewhere between when pigs fly and when hell freezes over, I suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                    When GIMP stops using the GIMP Toolkit? Somewhere between when pigs fly and when hell freezes over, I suspect.
                    I deliberately wrote that sentence about GIMP.

Thing is, despite all that trolling about how evil Qt supposedly is, it's the best toolkit under a free license. If Qt was so very evil, why is GTK so bad? One would think everybody would flock to it to make it better?
                    Xfce is the last mainstream Linux shell that's written using GTK.
                    GNOME Shell is written with Clutter. So is Cinnamon.
                    Plasma Workspaces never were written in GTK, Unity uses Nux and will switch to Qt, and now LXDE has been ported to Qt. (OK, maybe you can count MATE as major shell.)
                    And while I'm aware of GIMP?s roadmap, the GIMP team hasn't really been in a hurry to make the jump to GTK3.

Comment

Working...
                    X