Opera 15 Is Here, But Not Yet For Linux Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curaga View Post

FF's awesome bar still defaults to doing searches, and leaking data in the name of suggestions, no?
    No. It only gives you suggestions from your browsing history, ie. sites you've already visited that match the string you type on the bar. The text isn't sent anywhere. Mozilla is very respectful of the user's privacy.

Comment

In three points:
      1. CPU use, incl. startup speed
      2. RAM use
      3. Native code included in the release doesn't break between releases, addons often do. This point could be solved by designating some addons as official and not releasing until they work, but I don't see Mozilla doing that.
      Javascript means it doesn't break between releases and doesn't even break between cpu architectures. Ram/Cpu usage is a point but a counterpoint is of course the higher speed of development with javascript.
      Thanks for the correction, I got the name wrong. The issue with all those combined bars is that what I type as an URL should never be sent anywhere, only what I explicitly intend as a search should be sent. This is only possible with separate fields.

FF's awesome bar still defaults to doing searches, and leaking data in the name of suggestions, no?
      Fx does a feeling lucky search by default. Otherwise no information is sent to google. The suggestions come from your browsing history not from google.
      I wouldn't be surprised if the option to disable that entirely is only available in the registry.
      I guess you call about:config the registry? I love that feature and wish each piece of software would add that including Windows.
      Content blocking is one thing that absolutely should be native code. I don't want the string matching of my huge blocklist be in JS.
      Adblockplus seems to do it without slowdown?
      That's only the most recent example: look back to see all other removed options.
      I can't recall any options I would like back.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferdinand View Post
        Fx does a feeling lucky search by default. Otherwise no information is sent to google. The suggestions come from your browsing history not from google.
        I'm goint to be third person writing this, but above statement is correct - open web console (right click anywhere > inspect element > www console), type aything ending with domain into adress bar (like phoronix.com) and see that ff doesn't connect to google or whatever you use as main search provider.

Comment

That's a positive surprise with the suggestions indeed.

Javascript means it doesn't break between releases and doesn't even break between cpu architectures.
          There are a ton of reports of addons breaking between FF releases. JS is clearly not immune to breakage.

I guess you call about:config the registry? I love that feature and wish each piece of software would add that including Windows.
          Yes. It's an absolutely terrible UI paradigm for settings, the big example being Windows registry, but also being used in Gnome, Xfce, and FF.

Comment

There are a ton of reports of addons breaking between FF releases. JS is clearly not immune to breakage.
            That's because FF broke API - srsly, you can't have backwards compatibility if someone decides to break API or ABI. JS is immune to latter (beacuse there isn't any in first place), nothing to former.

Comment

Originally posted by Osik View Post
              That's because FF broke API - srsly, you can't have backwards compatibility if someone decides to break API or ABI. JS is immune to latter (beacuse there isn't any in first place), nothing to former.
              And jetpack fixes that. It is even cooler jetpack extensions don't require a restart.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferdinand View Post
                And jetpack fixes that. It is even cooler jetpack extensions don't require a restart.
                Them the Jetpack becomes API; it it brokes compatibility - LOL

Comment

While i'm sure that's true, I can't even remember the last time i had an addon break. And I'm running on the betas.

I think it's mostly been a solved problem since around FF15? Or at least it's a solved problem for most popular extensions. Probably the random ones out there doing crazy stuff are the ones that get broken more often.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                    While i'm sure that's true, I can't even remember the last time i had an addon break. And I'm running on the betas.

I think it's mostly been a solved problem since around FF15? Or at least it's a solved problem for most popular extensions. Probably the random ones out there doing crazy stuff are the ones that get broken more often.
                    Most of the time small things change in Firefox like the name of a variable. That can easily fixed by the developer of the extension. But jetpack means the extension will work in Firefox 32.

Comment

Working...
                    X