Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 81

Thread: Fedora 19 Officially Released

  1. #71
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    519

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    Its odd that the live system works fine but installed doesn't. From the live systemd run 'glxinfo' on terminal and see what driver youre using...you should be stuck with r300g for a card that old, which is basically just in maintenance mode.
    GNOME 3 got on my nerves so I switched to the KDE spin, works great, OpenGL desktop effects and all. So I suppose something's awry with the compositing engine of GNOME 3 on my particular hardware.

  2. #72
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    914

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
    blackiwid: FWIW, XBMC is not really a project that works very nicely with distro packaging. It's stuffed with embedded libraries; it's really a whole giant Thing in itself, not a nice neat modular piece of software.

    I actually like XBMC, but I wouldn't entirely see the point in running it on top of Fedora. If I want to play media on a general-purpose Linux distribution I'd use mplayer or vlc or something like that. To me XBMC makes more sense as a dedicated box. I have a Zotac HTPC which runs OpenELEC: http://www.openelec.tv/ . For me, that's the sensible way to deploy XBMC. YMMV.
    openelec looks nice, but I need some server funktionality on this box... maybe samba maybe ssh is enough... maybe something else mpd maybe ok that could xbmc also do I guess... but also bittorrent daemon and such stuff... is that somewhat easy to install in openelec?

  3. #73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackiwid View Post
    openelec looks nice, but I need some server funktionality on this box... maybe samba maybe ssh is enough... maybe something else mpd maybe ok that could xbmc also do I guess... but also bittorrent daemon and such stuff... is that somewhat easy to install in openelec?
    I don't honestly know, I don't set up my systems that way - my OpenELEC box is strictly a media player, the content is hosted on my NAS and I download stuff to it from the general-purpose systems on the network. You certainly get ssh access to OpenELEC out of the box, and I'm pretty sure it does the uPNP media serving stuff, beyond that I haven't looked.

    I know there are XBMC 'spins' of various full-fat distros which may be more appropriate for your purposes, I think there's an Ubuntu-derived one and a SUSE-derived one for e.g.

  4. #74
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    914

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
    I don't honestly know, I don't set up my systems that way - my OpenELEC box is strictly a media player, the content is hosted on my NAS and I download stuff to it from the general-purpose systems on the network. You certainly get ssh access to OpenELEC out of the box, and I'm pretty sure it does the uPNP media serving stuff, beyond that I haven't looked.

    I know there are XBMC 'spins' of various full-fat distros which may be more appropriate for your purposes, I think there's an Ubuntu-derived one and a SUSE-derived one for e.g.
    is openelec even xbmc 13 else it would not solv a problem for me

  5. #75

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackiwid View Post
    is openelec even xbmc 13 else it would not solv a problem for me
    I think both 3.0 and 3.1 are based on XBMC 12. There look to be some unofficial Gotham 'respins' in the forums, but XBMC 12 does everything I need so I'm sticking with the 3.0 series for now.

  6. #76
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Montreal Canada
    Posts
    55

    Default

    I started with F19 in May, when the alphas were released. Fedora 19 is a very solid distribution. I immediately liked the anaconda installer, and except for some minor quirks with some features, I found anaconda great. In a similar way, Fedora 19 is great. After using both Gnome in F19 and KDE, I elected to go with KDE. It is just a matter of personal preference. With Fedora 18, I chose Gnome over KDE. As I indicated, it is a matter of preference. I did try other DE's such as cinnamon, which again, but when I did my testing, cinnamon was unavailable to test. I will wait a few weeks and then give cinnamon a try.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •