Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 19 Officially Released

Phoronix: Fedora 19 Officially Released

On Tuesday morning, Fedora 19 Linux was officially released...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good job, Fedora developers.

But Michael, your latest articles make it look like you were really tired back then Sentences starting without capital letters, random links...

Comment

Great GNOME integration

The GNOME integration on Ubuntu 13.04 was so bad that I switched to Fedora 19 alpha... It has been running smoothly ever since! I just recommand it!
      Last edited by remjg; 02 July 2013, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Yep, Fedora 19 is really great. I'm so happy I switched to Fedora when it was at 17, never want to go back :-D.

To everyone at Fedora: Thanks! You are great :-).

And Gnome Shell is shaping up really great, except gpk-application. That's the sole thing they really could make better.
        It just stalls to much "waiting in queue" without any apparent reason, that's a bit frustating.
        And the search function could be improved. Currently you need to know the name of a package, otherwise you won't find it.

Though I expect this is going to be better with the hawkeye/libresolv stuff.

But yeah, Fedora is really cool, and everyone should try it out :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
          Im sure the Gnomers at Ubuntu are making the best of it. Being Ubuntu based is not easy after all. Different x, different init and so on. This will probaly not get any easier in the future.
          I definitely agree with you. Must be quite hard to keep up with all Canonical decisions and with limited manpower. I'm sure they are doing their best.

Comment

Originally posted by BitRot View Post
            And Gnome Shell is shaping up really great, except gpk-application. That's the sole thing they really could make better.
            It just stalls to much "waiting in queue" without any apparent reason, that's a bit frustating.
            And the search function could be improved. Currently you need to know the name of a package, otherwise you won't find it.
            Definitely the biggest setback when you come from Ubuntu like me. I wonder when "Software" replacement will be ready, I like the designs they are providing.

Comment

There was a bug a few weeks ago related to the app locking up when promted by many updates. Reportd by the fine fedorians and fixed by upstream.

It is coming to Gnome, but Im not sure about Fedora.
              https://plus.google.com/107928060492...ts/AXAMmAXMoAc
              Richard Hughes who is developing it is a Fedora developer who wrote PackageKit, GNOME Power manager etc and it will be integrated into Fedora as soon as it is ready.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                Richard Hughes who is developing it is a Fedora developer who wrote PackageKit, GNOME Power manager etc and it will be integrated into Fedora as soon as it is ready.
                Sounds good, can't wait for it.
                I already love the designs. :-)

Comment

Yes. But Im guessing Fedora wants to stay on YUM by using DNF as a test bed? This is orthogonal to Richards approach on Gnome-software. I might be very wrong on this. Im only guessing.
                  GNOME UI will be a frontend to distro package management tools with some additional functionality to manage other type of components such as application bundles in a sandbox. An intermediate layer like the PackageKit API can abstract out the distro specific implementation details. Fedora will continue to use yum for native package management.

Comment

Im sure the Gnomers at Ubuntu are making the best of it. Being Ubuntu based is not easy after all. Different x, different init and so on. This will probaly not get any easier in the future.
                    Hasn't the main Ubuntu GNOME packager quit for ?real life? reasons?
                    Anyway: I?ve said it about Kubuntu and I say it about Ubuntu GNOME. The attachment to the Ubuntu base OS is completely irrational.
                    Fedora and openSUSE are both fine options for GNOME fans.

If one finds Fedora not easy enough to use, there is also Korora?s Fedora remix that was also updated to version 19 today: https://kororaproject.org/korora-19-bruce-released/

Yes. But Im guessing Fedora wants to stay on YUM by using DNF as a test bed? This is orthogonal to Richards approach on Gnome-software. I might be very wrong on this. Im only guessing.
                    DNF will become YUM.

Comment

Working...
                    X