Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 81

Thread: Fedora 19 Officially Released

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,325

    Default Fedora 19 Officially Released

    Phoronix: Fedora 19 Officially Released

    On Tuesday morning, Fedora 19 Linux was officially released...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQwMTA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,518

    Default

    Good job, Fedora developers.

    But Michael, your latest articles make it look like you were really tired back then Sentences starting without capital letters, random links...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Dijon, France
    Posts
    15

    Default Great GNOME integration

    The GNOME integration on Ubuntu 13.04 was so bad that I switched to Fedora 19 alpha... It has been running smoothly ever since! I just recommand it!
    Last edited by remjg; 07-02-2013 at 12:30 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Yep, Fedora 19 is really great. I'm so happy I switched to Fedora when it was at 17, never want to go back :-D.

    To everyone at Fedora: Thanks! You are great :-).

    And Gnome Shell is shaping up really great, except gpk-application. That's the sole thing they really could make better.
    It just stalls to much "waiting in queue" without any apparent reason, that's a bit frustating.
    And the search function could be improved. Currently you need to know the name of a package, otherwise you won't find it.

    Though I expect this is going to be better with the hawkeye/libresolv stuff.

    But yeah, Fedora is really cool, and everyone should try it out :-)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Dijon, France
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Honton View Post
    Im sure the Gnomers at Ubuntu are making the best of it. Being Ubuntu based is not easy after all. Different x, different init and so on. This will probaly not get any easier in the future.
    I definitely agree with you. Must be quite hard to keep up with all Canonical decisions and with limited manpower. I'm sure they are doing their best.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Dijon, France
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BitRot View Post
    And Gnome Shell is shaping up really great, except gpk-application. That's the sole thing they really could make better.
    It just stalls to much "waiting in queue" without any apparent reason, that's a bit frustating.
    And the search function could be improved. Currently you need to know the name of a package, otherwise you won't find it.
    Definitely the biggest setback when you come from Ubuntu like me. I wonder when "Software" replacement will be ready, I like the designs they are providing.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Honton View Post
    There was a bug a few weeks ago related to the app locking up when promted by many updates. Reportd by the fine fedorians and fixed by upstream.


    It is coming to Gnome, but Im not sure about Fedora.
    https://plus.google.com/107928060492...ts/AXAMmAXMoAc
    Richard Hughes who is developing it is a Fedora developer who wrote PackageKit, GNOME Power manager etc and it will be integrated into Fedora as soon as it is ready.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RahulSundaram View Post
    Richard Hughes who is developing it is a Fedora developer who wrote PackageKit, GNOME Power manager etc and it will be integrated into Fedora as soon as it is ready.
    Sounds good, can't wait for it.
    I already love the designs. :-)

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Honton View Post
    Yes. But Im guessing Fedora wants to stay on YUM by using DNF as a test bed? This is orthogonal to Richards approach on Gnome-software. I might be very wrong on this. Im only guessing.
    GNOME UI will be a frontend to distro package management tools with some additional functionality to manage other type of components such as application bundles in a sandbox. An intermediate layer like the PackageKit API can abstract out the distro specific implementation details. Fedora will continue to use yum for native package management.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Honton View Post
    Im sure the Gnomers at Ubuntu are making the best of it. Being Ubuntu based is not easy after all. Different x, different init and so on. This will probaly not get any easier in the future.
    Hasn't the main Ubuntu GNOME packager quit for “real life” reasons?
    Anyway: I’ve said it about Kubuntu and I say it about Ubuntu GNOME. The attachment to the Ubuntu base OS is completely irrational.
    Fedora and openSUSE are both fine options for GNOME fans.

    If one finds Fedora not easy enough to use, there is also Korora’s Fedora remix that was also updated to version 19 today: https://kororaproject.org/korora-19-bruce-released/

    Quote Originally Posted by Honton View Post
    Yes. But Im guessing Fedora wants to stay on YUM by using DNF as a test bed? This is orthogonal to Richards approach on Gnome-software. I might be very wrong on this. Im only guessing.
    DNF will become YUM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •