Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30

Thread: NVIDIA Releases 325.08 Beta Linux GPU Driver

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duby229 View Post
    If you build a computer with the intention of using proprietary drivers then nVidia is obviously the only good choice... But most people don't need the proprietary drivers, in which case AMD is the best choice.
    Lets be honest, most people with AMD cards will need their proprietary driver anyways for power management (laptop users), which won't change until the 3.11 kernel which is still a bit away (and then however long it takes distros to merge these changes). As of today, I would think Intel has to be the way to go for free/open drivers as their support is pretty solid performance wise and feature wise, although, as I just said, AMD seems to be catching up quickly. However, Intel's performance difference between the open drivers (linux) and their closed driver (windows) does seem to be far less than the difference between AMD's open and closed drivers. Hopefully that also gets a nice boost at some point

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bakgwailo View Post
    Lets be honest, most people with AMD cards will need their proprietary driver anyways for power management (laptop users), which won't change until the 3.11 kernel which is still a bit away (and then however long it takes distros to merge these changes). As of today, I would think Intel has to be the way to go for free/open drivers as their support is pretty solid performance wise and feature wise, although, as I just said, AMD seems to be catching up quickly. However, Intel's performance difference between the open drivers (linux) and their closed driver (windows) does seem to be far less than the difference between AMD's open and closed drivers. Hopefully that also gets a nice boost at some point
    I do agree with you about power management, but at this point it is just a matter of time. The initial code is already released. I don't agree with you about performance. If you choose a chip which uses the r600g driver then there isnt anything to worry about. It's prformance has already exceeded expectations.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bakgwailo View Post
    Lets be honest, most people with AMD cards will need their proprietary driver anyways for power management (laptop users), which won't change until the 3.11 kernel which is still a bit away (and then however long it takes distros to merge these changes). As of today, I would think Intel has to be the way to go for free/open drivers as their support is pretty solid performance wise and feature wise, although, as I just said, AMD seems to be catching up quickly. However, Intel's performance difference between the open drivers (linux) and their closed driver (windows) does seem to be far less than the difference between AMD's open and closed drivers. Hopefully that also gets a nice boost at some point
    Since the release of UVD and DPM support for the radeon driver, there is nothing that the Intel driver does better. And the performance delta compared to Windows is rendered moot by having much faster hardware. And even if you are waiting for the official 3.11 kernel, it just means using profile-based power saving for a little while longer.

    What Intel still has at this point is faster support for the very latest chipsets.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,260

    Default

    Since the release of UVD and DPM support for the radeon driver, there is nothing that the Intel driver does better
    It remains to be seen how effective the power management will be. Some users still complain of overheating even when underclocking using "low" profile. Hopefully, the other power management features rectify that.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanL View Post
    It remains to be seen how effective the power management will be. Some users still complain of overheating even when underclocking using "low" profile. Hopefully, the other power management features rectify that.
    I'm guessing that you are refering to the old static power management code that was never adequate. Recently AMD released code for proper dynamic power management that should fix all that. We'll see how good it is after it has matured some. It appears to be a little buggy right now.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    31

    Default

    The 325.08 Beta driver looks like it fixes some of the problems I been having with my GeForce8 8400M GS, but now do not need fancy graphics since I just use Intel graphics. I also switched back to desktops.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Wow. Not one single comment on this entire thread about the new drivers. Nothing about differences in performance, functionality, anything like that. Just silly posturing from people wanting to post a picture of Torvald's famous bird flipping picture. Lovely.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redshirt001 View Post
    Wow. Not one single comment on this entire thread about the new drivers. Nothing about differences in performance, functionality, anything like that. Just silly posturing from people wanting to post a picture of Torvald's famous bird flipping picture. Lovely.
    Hey, this is Phoronix after all. 8)

    I'm still using 319.17 personally and it works fine.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Drops support for old 2.4 kernels, yet still doesn't support anything beyond 3.8(?) without having to apply a patch first?

    Hmmm....

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    829

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SomeLinuxGuy View Post
    Drops support for old 2.4 kernels, yet still doesn't support anything beyond 3.8(?) without having to apply a patch first?

    Hmmm....
    Interesting, i haven't updated (yet), or anything like that. I guess it's good (for me, personally) that i am still on 3.8.13 then. (even though, patching isn't a huge ordeal).

    on a different note:

    I wonder how the performance is vs. 319.17/23 and/or what benefits this new beta may have, aside from mentioned bits? I am still getting non-fatal errors when using -rt patched kernel, in dmesg occasionally. I'd love to see the day when nvidia puts some (more) effort into improving their driver for RT kernels, ensuring the best performance, at lower latencies, and such. ~ but overall that isn't really a complaint, nvidia tends to serve me quite well, and has for a very long time.

    anyway, i suppose i should checkout / update to this driver in the next day or so.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •