Thread: Nouveau Changes Pulled For Linux 3.11 Kernel

Default Nouveau Changes Pulled For Linux 3.11 Kernel

Phoronix: Nouveau Changes Pulled For Linux 3.11 Kernel

After talking about the big DRM changes heading for the Linux 3.11 kernel, the Nouveau DRM driver changes are finally known as they were pulled into the drm-next tree last night...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQwMDM

You call video decoding with nouveau "sadly isn't too exciting"? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    Seconded. I too am very excited about VDPAU coming to Nouveau. I own two graphics cards that will be affected by this. Lack of VDPAU has been the major showstopper keeping me from using Nouveau on the two computers that have those cards in them right now.

Random rant here, but does anyone else find the article titles of the format "Feature X pulled for release Y" confusing at first sight?

I use git, so I understand where the terminology is from, but its the opposite to the normal English usage. Normally if a feature is pulled then it means its removed. Having articles entitled "Feature X pulled into release Y" would help my little brain.

Quote Originally Posted by eLDST0RM View Post
    I use git, so I understand where the terminology is from, but its the opposite to the normal English usage. Normally if a feature is pulled then it means its removed. Having articles entitled "Feature X pulled into release Y" would help my little brain.
    Normal english usage for "removed" would take the form "Feature X pulled from release Y". Though I agree that "pulled into" would be intuitively clearer.

Quote Originally Posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    I may have misread the original announcement but wasnt the video decode only for pretty old cards? Like before they switched to the "Nvidia GeForce GTK [1-9][1-9][1-9]" branding and instead had like "Nvidia GT 9000"?

Like good for them, seriously, but its not like its for ALL cards or NEW cards or even a few years ago cards

Nice to see VDPAU coming to Nouveau and hopefully the stability issues can be resolved as I get random hard lockups or on screen glitches when using Nouveau with my GF7900 card, with GNOME Shell or even Openbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    I may have misread the original announcement but wasnt the video decode only for pretty old cards? Like before they switched to the "Nvidia GeForce GTK [1-9][1-9][1-9]" branding and instead had like "Nvidia GT 9000"?

Like good for them, seriously, but its not like its for ALL cards or NEW cards or even a few years ago cards
    It's not a 100% match, but I believe the support is for what were called "Feature Set A" VDPAU cards. I would assume that the later feature sets will get supported at some point, too.

I for one am not excited about this. Exciting would be fan speed management for NV50, which has been unimplemented for the 3 years I've used Linux.

Reclocking please. That has to be #1 on the list, nothing else matters if you can't actually run the gpu at its rated speeds. If that landed, plus fan control, I'd switch regardless of a 20 - 30% performance hit and the loss of gl 4+ and opencl. I wish I knew how to profile gpu registers and do real low level hardware reverse engineering, because I'd work on it myself if I could.