Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by haplo602 View Post
    Oh, that's an attemp at a joke right ?

AMD drivers are poor in stability and CONSISTENCY. Bugs that were fixed do appear again randomly in new releases. Things stop working for no apparent reason (I get no VTs on my system with any catalyst past 13.1). Full blown video acceleration is missing (there are parts working at times). Wine compatibility is a separate chapter.

And I have a Radeon HD5830 in my PC, considering switching to Nvidia just to get Wine and video accell working properly.
    My hd5750 1 gig, has some issues in Serious Sam 3, but its rock stable on linux and windows.

I do not use wine, maybe wine is the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Gps4l View Post
      My hd5750 1 gig, has some issues in Serious Sam 3, but its rock stable on linux and windows.

I do not use wine, maybe wine is the problem.
      My understanding of wine is that it uses some opengl features in a way that isnt standards compliant but works well regardless on nvidias proprietary drivers. It has definitely improved ALOT in the last few years though, and the OSS drivers are handling wines issues better.

I don't understand the exact details of what wines issues are. They are a bit over my head. Some people say that the problem is with mesa being too strict. But personally I think strictness is good, and wine not being strict is the root of the problem.
      Last edited by duby229; 02 July 2013, 10:24 PM.

Comment

4th og july celebration started a little early this year, so forgive me if I'm not making sense. kinda drunk. 151 is some shit.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
          My understanding of wine is that it uses some opengl features in a way that isnt standards compliant but works well regardless on nvidias proprietary drivers. It has definitely improved ALOT in the last few years though, and the OSS drivers are handling wines issues better.

I don't understand the exact details of what wines issues are. They are a bit over my head. Some people say that the problem is with mesa being too strict. But personally I think strictness is good, and wine not being strict is the root of the problem.
          The problem is, that NVIDIA's driver works with programs, which are not 100% standard conform. fglrx and mesa are not that easygoing.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
            The problem is, that NVIDIA's driver works with programs, which are not 100% standard conform. fglrx and mesa are not that easygoing.
            Well yeah, I can see that as being a good thing for people who have nVidia cards. For everyone else that uses OSS drivers it is a bad thing. The proper solution is for wine to better conform to opengl standards. The problem is not that mesa is strict, it's that wine isnt.
            Last edited by duby229; 03 July 2013, 01:33 AM.

Comment

It isn't just wine, even Valve's port of the Source engine to Linux is optimized towards NVIDIA proprietary blobs. Just recently we got to the bottom of a serious at the Steam for Linux github with Valve on the horrid performance and input lag of, especially, their multiplayer titles like TF2. The culprit is they are relying on a feature not in OpenGL specifications that NVIDIA drivers perform. NVIDIA has the desktop market cornered with around 70% of graphics cards being NVIDIA, so most games are being optimized towards NVIDIA binary blobs.

Comment

Link please? Google gives several dozen input lag tickets on valve's github.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  Link please? Google gives several dozen input lag tickets on valve's github.
                  In short: The lag happens in some places while having high fps. Motion blur and high resolution induce it. The problem is linked to the Fglrx driver. In-kernel threads get notable CPU usage during ...

Comment

There was nothing Nvidia-specific there. The issue in that ticket is AMD's fault, a legal optimization gone wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
                      It isn't just wine, even Valve's port of the Source engine to Linux is optimized towards NVIDIA proprietary blobs. Just recently we got to the bottom of a serious at the Steam for Linux github with Valve on the horrid performance and input lag of, especially, their multiplayer titles like TF2. The culprit is they are relying on a feature not in OpenGL specifications that NVIDIA drivers perform. NVIDIA has the desktop market cornered with around 70% of graphics cards being NVIDIA, so most games are being optimized towards NVIDIA binary blobs.
                      Unless TF2 has regressed this can't be right.

With my amd card its a smooth on linux as it is on windows.

hd5750 amd phenom II X4

Nvidia has a lead over amd performance wise, with openGl but Valve is talking with amd too.

And amd is talking with game developers, like croteam ( serious sam )

There will be games released were we will be greeted by and amd logo.

We do not know the future, but for now steam coming to linux is one of the best things ever for linux.
                      Even Richard Stallman said it might be a good thing for Linux.

Comment

Working...
                      X