Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lucky

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
    See if you can re-create the SMP kernel errors on upstream kernels? o.O I've used Linux for 5 years, on a large variety of hardware, and i've never seen ONE kernel panic for ANY reason.
    you have lucky, its rare but i already see kernel panic

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
      Close all the annoying edge case bugs that produce SMP kernel errors and panics. I still see them in Debian, which is also how come I see dozens of patches each release from Debian that get folded into Linux.

Sorry, but Linux is far from done and/or bullet proof. It's getting more bloated and more unstable with each release.

It's only compounded by the perpetual quick turnaround cycle of the user space areas and continuous stream of bugs that never manage to get fixed whether for GNOME, KDE or what not as it updates newer revisions.

Sorry, but the entire ecosystem just isn't anywhere near as polished as it should be for Linux to become a true 3rd OS for Desktop daily consumption.

OS X is the baseline.
      The software stack needs a lot of work (to put it diplomatically), but it seems like the kernel is just in maintenance mode.

Comment

OS X is the baseline.
        OSX si the baseline only for Apple manufactured machines, this doesn't make a lot.
        xnu is really superior to linux for power management, on other points linux is equal or do globally better.
        I'm talking about the kernel, not the userspace applications obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
          Am I the only one that finds the kernel updates generally uninteresting?

I guess if one is using the open source graphics drivers or maybe btrfs there's a lot happening there of significance.
          Guess what, I'm using both!

Linux is basically done. There's nothing more to do.
          "There is nothing new to be discovered in physics now. All that remains is more and more precise measurement" ?Presumably Lord Kelvin
          "Everything that can be invented has been invented." ?Presumably Charles Holland Duell, US Patent and Trademark Office

Both of these were found to be utterly incorrect.

I've used Linux for 5 years, on a large variety of hardware, and i've never seen ONE kernel panic for ANY reason.
          I have seen a few. One was due to some odd interaction between the kernel, intel drivers and Skype where on video call the kernel would panic. Another one that I saw two days ago was due to a PC that didn't have enough memory and thus the kernel tried to kill itself and panicked.

Comment

See if you can re-create the SMP kernel errors on upstream kernels? o.O I've used Linux for 5 years, on a large variety of hardware, and i've never seen ONE kernel panic for ANY reason.
            I can induce a kernel panic by plugging in a thumb drive and rebooting... For some reason that seems retarded to me, USB drives get detected before SATA drives, so the drive assignments for the root filesystem gets changed and the kernel responds by panicking. So every time I boot I have to make sure no drive is plugged into USB. it can be annoying.
            Last edited by duby229; 01 July 2013, 02:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
              I can induce a kernel panic by plugging in a thumb drive and rebooting... For some reason that seems retarded to me, USB drives get detected before SATA drives, so the drive assignments for the root filesystem gets changed and the kernel responds by panicking. So every time I boot I have to make sure no drive is plugged into USB. it can be annoying.
              Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I wonder if your root filesystem mount point in /etc/fstab is referenced via the block device directly (like /dev/sda1) instead of the filesystem UUID. If so, then it would be worth changing your mount point to use the UUID reference instead of the block device name, to see if that helps fix the panic.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
                brightness control not working for me with this kernel.

is a problem with RC version and this final too, too bad same error who was reported and not resolved

I also have brightness control problems on my laptop. I think it was broken in 3.8 and has is due to devices in /sys/class/firmware

Comment

Originally posted by rafirafi View Post
                  OSX si the baseline only for Apple manufactured machines, this doesn't make a lot.
                  xnu is really superior to linux for power management
                  It hardcodes every Mac model it supports. Sure, that's superior power management, but also would never be accepted in linux.

if (macbook_2008_later)
                  this();
                  else if (air_2012)

Comment

Linux is basically done. There's nothing more to do.
                    There is still some de-blobbing to do. Now with Fedora and Debian opting for no-blobs-by-default there is definitely a need to get stuff working (again).

Comment

My last real kernel panic is years ago. Now talk to me about lock-ups. :-(

Comment

Working...
                      X