Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feature-Rich Linux 3.10 Kernel Officially Released

Phoronix: Feature-Rich Linux 3.10 Kernel Officially Released

The Linux 3.10 kernel, which yields the biggest changes in years, has been officially released this Sunday evening...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

:S

brightness control not working for me with this kernel.

is a problem with RC version and this final too, too bad same error who was reported and not resolved

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
      brightness control not working for me with this kernel.

is a problem with RC version and this final too, too bad same error who was reported and not resolved
      Laptop model?
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Am I the only one that finds the kernel updates generally uninteresting?

I guess if one is using the open source graphics drivers or maybe btrfs there's a lot happening there of significance.

Comment

?

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
          Laptop model?
          asus k56cb

nvidia/intel

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
            Am I the only one that finds the kernel updates generally uninteresting?

I guess if one is using the open source graphics drivers or maybe btrfs there's a lot happening there of significance.
            Well.... Yeah. If you aren't using USING the points of interest to kernel releases, of course you arent going to be interested. XFS and Ext4 are both in maintenance mode basically... Btrfs is the future, so if you're avoiding it for one reason or another, of course you wont care about the work affecting it.

And if you aren't using the FOSS drivers for one reason or another (Radeon: You've got a laptop, Nouveau: you've got a new-ish card) then you won't have much interest there either...

Read Linus' release notes, everytime what are the two biggest sources of churn in the kernel? Drivers and Filesystems. If you aren't using one or both of those, then you only care about new kernel releases for bug fixes else where.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
              Well.... Yeah. If you aren't using USING the points of interest to kernel releases, of course you arent going to be interested. XFS and Ext4 are both in maintenance mode basically... Btrfs is the future, so if you're avoiding it for one reason or another, of course you wont care about the work affecting it.

And if you aren't using the FOSS drivers for one reason or another (Radeon: You've got a laptop, Nouveau: you've got a new-ish card) then you won't have much interest there either...

Read Linus' release notes, everytime what are the two biggest sources of churn in the kernel? Drivers and Filesystems. If you aren't using one or both of those, then you only care about new kernel releases for bug fixes else where.
              Linux is basically done. There's nothing more to do.

Comment

Close all the annoying edge case bugs that produce SMP kernel errors and panics. I still see them in Debian, which is also how come I see dozens of patches each release from Debian that get folded into Linux.

Sorry, but Linux is far from done and/or bullet proof. It's getting more bloated and more unstable with each release.

It's only compounded by the perpetual quick turnaround cycle of the user space areas and continuous stream of bugs that never manage to get fixed whether for GNOME, KDE or what not as it updates newer revisions.

Sorry, but the entire ecosystem just isn't anywhere near as polished as it should be for Linux to become a true 3rd OS for Desktop daily consumption.

OS X is the baseline.

Comment

That depends highly on what you use it for...

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                    Close all the annoying edge case bugs that produce SMP kernel errors and panics. I still see them in Debian, which is also how come I see dozens of patches each release from Debian that get folded into Linux.

Sorry, but Linux is far from done and/or bullet proof. It's getting more bloated and more unstable with each release.

It's only compounded by the perpetual quick turnaround cycle of the user space areas and continuous stream of bugs that never manage to get fixed whether for GNOME, KDE or what not as it updates newer revisions.

Sorry, but the entire ecosystem just isn't anywhere near as polished as it should be for Linux to become a true 3rd OS for Desktop daily consumption.

OS X is the baseline.
                    See if you can re-create the SMP kernel errors on upstream kernels? o.O I've used Linux for 5 years, on a large variety of hardware, and i've never seen ONE kernel panic for ANY reason.

Comment

Working...
                    X