XWayland 2D Performance Appears Better Than XMir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
    wayland?? wayland continued not working, they never finish it...

we waiting for 5 years!! and i see we need to wait another 5...
    The way I see it, it's a good think they take their time. When dealing with projects and project management, there are several triangles that tries to teach that you can't get everything. Take fast (as in development time), cheap and good. You can never have all three of them. You can develop
    • something quickly and with high quality, but it won't be cheap
    • something quickly and cheap, but it won't be high quality
    • something of high quality and cheap, but it will take time.

The way I see it, Canonical is doing it quickly, meaning they've had to compromise on either quality or cost. As you point out, Wayland, on the other hand, is taking it's time. This may indicate that it's a high quality and cheap way of developing. Just saying

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
      wayland?? wayland continued not working, they never finish it...

we waiting for 5 years!! and i see we need to wait another 5...
      Ummm no... you wait till next year when KDE will most likely ship KDE5, you wait till (i think) later this year when Enlightenment will ship E18, and you wait a release or two for Gnome to handle any GTK3 issues...
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by mannerov View Post
        According to this old post:
        http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...-tips-problems
        3D acceleration is working.
        Reading this post it seems that Wayland is more difficult to configure for now. But for sure in a year it will be easier to test (I heard gentoo planned to do packages to enable users to use Weston for example )
        If you want to test just WAYLAND, then all you need is the Arch wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wayland

If you want to test XWayland, then things get more complicated since you have to patch the X server. As soon as XWayland gets merged into the X Server, things become a lot easier.

Comment

I digress

Originally posted by AHSauge View Post
          The way I see it, it's a good think they take their time. When dealing with projects and project management, there are several triangles that tries to teach that you can't get everything. Take fast (as in development time), cheap and good. You can never have all three of them. You can develop
          • something quickly and with high quality, but it won't be cheap
          • something quickly and cheap, but it won't be high quality
          • something of high quality and cheap, but it will take time.

The way I see it, Canonical is doing it quickly, meaning they've had to compromise on either quality or cost. As you point out, Wayland, on the other hand, is taking it's time. This may indicate that it's a high quality and cheap way of developing. Just saying
          There's a major flaw with that list. The man-hour myth. Quickly and High Quality is not possible. It doesn't matter how much money is thrown at it. Mir is going to show us that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            If you want to test just WAYLAND, then all you need is the Arch wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wayland

If you want to test XWayland, then things get more complicated since you have to patch the X server. As soon as XWayland gets merged into the X Server, things become a lot easier.
            Well there is xwayland-git on the AUR which replaces your installed xorg-server and xorg-server-common package. Have not tried it out.

Comment

Originally posted by ickle View Post
              Sadly the benchmarks were performed on a Ironlake (i3) CPU/GPU with IPS. As you can see the results with IPS are very unstable, the GPU is up/down clocked over a period of about 2 minutes and can vary in performance by about a factor of 2, along with side-effects from the CPU/memory clocks being independently controlled by the CPU C-states (and cpufreq). Along with the silliness of benchmarking with UXA, I'd take these benchmarks with a large grain of salt and would be very careful not to draw any conclusions about X vs Xwayland [vs Xmir].
              Yea, at the very least we need to see a test where all three (X, XWayland, XMir) are tested at once, on the same hardware and doing the same tests.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                Well there is xwayland-git on the AUR which replaces your installed xorg-server and xorg-server-common package. Have not tried it out.
                Nor have I, and I've stopped running Arch on my laptop due to the upcoming LUKS changes

Comment

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
                  And how is that any worse than bashing Canonical based on preliminary results from a few benchmarks of development snapshots?
                  I'm going to agree with Anarchy: drawing such bold conclusions regarding the superiority of one or another at this point is silly.
                  I wish both technologies the best and I'll make up my mind once I've run both on my computer.
                  The point is they are building hype even though their product is not even finished yet and it won't be fast enough. What i hate is the fact they get a lot of attention from ubuntu users who don't care about fragmentation or anything else. What's up with all these phoronix Mir hype "news" like every damn day?

Comment

Originally posted by phoen1x View Post
                    The point is they are building hype even though their product is not even finished yet and it won't be fast enough. What i hate is the fact they get a lot of attention from ubuntu users who don't care about fragmentation or anything else. What's up with all these phoronix Mir hype "news" like every damn day?
                    Why on earth would you bash someone for REPLACING X.org??? ??? ???

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
                      Why on earth would you bash someone for REPLACING X.org??? ??? ???
                      Because we HAVE a replacement, its Wayland. Canonical just made MIR because their corporate interests demand that they have sole and absolute control over their entire stack. I'm seriously waiting for Ubuntu to become the new Android-- custom kernel, custom userspace, custom API's, that just resyncs with upstream once a year or once every 2 years.

Comment

Working...
                      X