XWayland 2D Performance Appears Better Than XMir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
    Good point. What I don't understand is why Ubuntu isn't going straight to Unity on Mir? I was under the impression that it was running fine, so why bother with xmir? (No troll replies please)
    It seems Unity 8 is ready for Mir, but not Unity 7.

I don't know why they want to make it run under XMir. One can only make suppositions (didn't expect lower performance? Want to clear bugs of XMir by forcing users to test it? Marketing move? Want to give a message to AMD and Nvidia to hurry doing Mir driver?)

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      Mir's superiority and awesomeness is secured at the protocol level:

So no matter what any benchmarks show - Mir is better than Wayland, period.
      L O L. I love how Canonical's bullshit marketing works. They post stupid youtube videos or some bs on some bs blogs and bunch of stupid kids are like "OW WOW AWESOME, CANONICAL ROX SOX".

Comment

Amusing reply to the "XFCE/LXDE/Gnome running on Xmir" videos from a Mir dev: wait a minute, thats a bug! Jokes aside, they are discussing some things in that thread that they want to deal with to improve performance (not that I would really understand the technical stuff discussed there, so read it yourself).

Comment

Originally posted by phoen1x View Post
          and bunch of stupid kids are like "OW WOW AWESOME, CANONICAL ROX SOX".
          And how is that any worse than bashing Canonical based on preliminary results from a few benchmarks of development snapshots?
          I'm going to agree with Anarchy: drawing such bold conclusions regarding the superiority of one or another at this point is silly.
          I wish both technologies the best and I'll make up my mind once I've run both on my computer.

Comment

Sadly the benchmarks were performed on a Ironlake (i3) CPU/GPU with IPS. As you can see the results with IPS are very unstable, the GPU is up/down clocked over a period of about 2 minutes and can vary in performance by about a factor of 2, along with side-effects from the CPU/memory clocks being independently controlled by the CPU C-states (and cpufreq). Along with the silliness of benchmarking with UXA, I'd take these benchmarks with a large grain of salt and would be very careful not to draw any conclusions about X vs Xwayland [vs Xmir].

Comment

wayland?

wayland?? wayland continued not working, they never finish it...

we waiting for 5 years!! and i see we need to wait another 5...

Comment

i love how the biggest argument against wayland is that it took 5 years for it to not even be ready yet. except if you ever actualy followed any discussion about wayland, it always ended in "we can have it do this, and that is worlds better than what we currently do now with X, all we have to do is entirely rearange this subsystem, and oh ya, its a change thats outside of the display server so it can actualy benifit current X as well" and thats why wayland takes so long, its a compleate rewrite of the entire graphics stack and arcitecture, at the same time we are changing it to accomodate hardware thats not just whatever intel or amd or nvidia puts out, and its often the same people that are writing wayland that are also responible for core kernel, mesa, and graphics drivers, both closed and open source changes that are needed to make it all work. and, this entire time there is collaborating with embedded people and google andorid to try and unify much of the work that has been done between the two worlds.

so guess what, if you just come and copy/past the source code and rename it something else, your development timer really doesnt get to restart at 0.

Comment

I don't get the point in benchmarking both when they are both missing important stuff, I would call the benchmarks pointless now. Sure when they are feature complete benchmark them but not now.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
                    Good point. What I don't understand is why Ubuntu isn't going straight to Unity on Mir? I was under the impression that it was running fine, so why bother with xmir? (No troll replies please)
                    Well, one can assume that they want all flavors of ubuntu be able to coexists, so if you are running mir unity, but you want to switch into the xfce desktop you could logout into lightdm and from the lightdm menu choose xubuntu session that will start normally from the lightdm set to run under Mir due to XMir been able to run a full desktop environment.

In any case the tests presented on this article kind of prove that XMir is more advanced than XWayland (since XMir can run 3D applications and some more tests than XWayland can't do), the canonical developers just need to iron out the performance issues that they seem to be already aware of.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
                      Well, one can assume that they want all flavors of ubuntu be able to coexists, so if you are running mir unity, but you want to switch into the xfce desktop you could logout into lightdm and from the lightdm menu choose xubuntu session that will start normally from the lightdm set to run under Mir due to XMir been able to run a full desktop environment.

In any case the tests presented on this article kind of prove that XMir is more advanced than XWayland (since XMir can run 3D applications and some more tests than XWayland can't do), the canonical developers just need to iron out the performance issues that they seem to be already aware of.
                      According to this old post:
                      http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...-tips-problems
                      3D acceleration is working.
                      Reading this post it seems that Wayland is more difficult to configure for now. But for sure in a year it will be easier to test (I heard gentoo planned to do packages to enable users to use Weston for example )

Comment

Working...
                      X