Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arch-Based Manjaro Prepares For Next Release

Phoronix: Arch-Based Manjaro Prepares For Next Release

Manjaro Linux is a distribution that makes it very easy to play with Arch. Manjaro is to Arch as Sabayon or Calculate Linux is to Gentoo. Manjaro makes it very easy to deploy an Arch-based desktop using Xfce and other lightweight components, a theme that's continuing with their upcoming 0.8.7 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Possible stupid question, why does a distro based on Arch have releases? Isn't it rolling release?

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
      Possible stupid question, why does a distro based on Arch have releases? Isn't it rolling release?
      Not a stupid question.

I can guess they have releases so that they're able to improve the installer, ship newer drivers and software for better out of the box support, updated repos mirrors etc.

Imagine having a new laptop and an old arch linux install CD that doesn't have drivers for your ehternet/wireless devices and it will probably immediatly make sense why they have new releases every once in a while.

Comment

Last time I checked (3 weeks ago) their pacman GUI-frontend doesn't even display messages from the .install routines which makes the whole distro borderline useless.

Comment

Could you elaborate on why that makes the whole distribution useless?

Comment

Originally posted by arokh View Post
            Could you elaborate on why that makes the whole distribution useless?
            Manjaro is designed to make Arch userfriendly and easy. I think we agree here.

Some packages that you install like system services and applications that rely on kernel modules like qemu, virtualbox etc. require manual steps to get them working after you install them. On Arch Linux pacman will print messages to your terminal telling you exactly what else needs to be done. Like "#modprobe vboxdrv to load the kernel module before starting virtualbox". Or "Uncomment "EnableLinuxHWDecode=1" in /etc/adobe/mms.conf to enable Hardware Acceleration" when you install flashplugin. Manjaro doesn't tell you any of this. So after installing Virtualbox instead of just taking a second to load the module you'll end up reading the wiki for 10-15 minutes following any configuration instructions that may be completely unnecessary.
            If you are thinking that Manjaro maybe does all of that for you. No it does not. After you install virtualbox on Manjaro there will be no vboxdrv module, when you "lsmod". It is actually a good thing because the Arch devs don't do it for a reason. There is no way you can always provide a sane default or just load some modules, which maybe are in conflict with other modules and break things in interesting ways. The difference is Arch tells you what do. Manjaro lures you in with its userfriendly GUI which means you'll end up spending much more time reading things on the Wiki and wasting time then it is necessary.
            Last edited by blackout23; 01 July 2013, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Manjaro

Not all the people have time and skills to build an Arch system. For me for example Manjaro is enough, is very easy to manage, stable and fast, with all the advantages of Arch (up to date, rolling, etc.). Also, the wiki and the forum is very helpful. For me, Manjaro is close to the definition of "perfect distro".

Comment

Originally posted by xxfrank View Post
                Not all the people have time and skills to build an Arch system. For me for example Manjaro is enough, is very easy to manage, stable and fast, with all the advantages of Arch (up to date, rolling, etc.). Also, the wiki and the forum is very helpful. For me, Manjaro is close to the definition of "perfect distro".
                +1 Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X