Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Southern Islands vs. NVIDIA Fermi/Kepler On Gallium3D

Phoronix: AMD Southern Islands vs. NVIDIA Fermi/Kepler On Gallium3D

Yesterday I posted benchmarks of the AMD RadeonSI Gallium3D driver looking at the open-source driver performance for the Radeon HD 7000 series graphics cards. The performance is comparatively very poor right now compared to earlier generations of AMD Radeon hardware that is better supported. But how does the open-source performance compare between the AMD Radeon HD 7000 series and the NVIDIA GeForce 400/500/6000 "Fermi" and "Kepler" on Nouveau? Here's benchmarks...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

do you have some daily quota that requires you to make up meaningless articles like this?

Comment

At last!

Micheal, thanks for doing the benchmark--I remember the requests for this.

But, could someone run this benchmark with an HD5xxx/HD6xxx in a similar system (quad-core i7 4770k with HT @ 3.5 GHz/16 GB RAM, 1920x1080 display, SSD), or an intel gpu?
      At least I think that's a quad-core with hyperthreading...Micheal, is that correct, or did you get an octocore?

Very roughly, it looks like the 7850 is competing with the GTX 550, and the the 7950 with the GTX 680.
      Reaction Quake runs better on nouveau.

Comment

even when locked to their lowest speeds the top-end Nvidia cards still outperform the Radeons.

Although Im very curious whether Michael was using the auto-generated firmware created by the Nouveau driver or if he actually extracted the binary Nvidia driver firmware for use in the experiment.

Comment

Michael, can you please look into whether the HD 7000 series cards use the lowest power profile by default? If so, can you change the profile to high before doing the tests?

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
            even when locked to their lowest speeds the top-end Nvidia cards still outperform the Radeons.
            You need my help to compare prices of tested GPU or you can search for this info on your own?

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
              Nah, it's just Gallium3D for SI not being in the greatest shape (compared to r600)

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
                Nah, it's just Gallium3D for SI not being in the greatest shape (compared to r600)
                Michael didn't mention what power management option he was using either. I assume he was using the old style power management, but he didn't say if he forced the high GPU profile or not. He also didn't specify which shader compiler was used. I believe the LLVM compiler is the default now, but occassionally the old compiler is faster (both are slower than R600sb of course, although that is unsupported with SI)

Comment

Originally posted by Ibidem View Post
                  Micheal, thanks for doing the benchmark--I remember the requests for this.

But, could someone run this benchmark with an HD5xxx/HD6xxx in a similar system (quad-core i7 4770k with HT @ 3.5 GHz/16 GB RAM, 1920x1080 display, SSD), or an intel gpu?
                  At least I think that's a quad-core with hyperthreading...Micheal, is that correct, or did you get an octocore?

Very roughly, it looks like the 7850 is competing with the GTX 550, and the the 7950 with the GTX 680.
                  Reaction Quake runs better on nouveau.
                  The 4770K is a quad core with HT, yes. The only octacore Intel CPUs are Xeons, and they cost at least 3000?.

Comment

Sad

I find it rather sad that you compare a newer Radeon driver, with an older Nouveau driver...

Comment

Working...
                    X