Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Features Coming In The Xfce 4.12 Desktop

Phoronix: Features Coming In The Xfce 4.12 Desktop

Xfce 4.12 still hasn't been released yet and it's running months behind schedule. Xfce 4.12 will be a major update to the lightweight desktop that's becoming an increasingly used alternative to Unity and the GNOME Shell. Here's an update on some of the completed features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Features Coming In The Xfce 4.12 Desktop

Xfce 4.12 still hasn't been released yet and it's running months behind schedule. Xfce 4.12 will be a major update to the lightweight desktop that's becoming an increasingly used alternative to Unity and the GNOME Shell. Here's an update on some of the completed features...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM5OTA
    I have been using most of those features already for months by using a PPA and they are pretty stable, they make XFCE a lot more usable. I guess that XFCE developers are somehow perfectionist for not releasing already.

Comment

I have fallen in love with Xfce after using Manjaro Xfce for a while. Xfce has to be my second favourite desktop environment, right after KDE. It's only going to get better!

Comment

.icc profiles support would be nice

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
          I have been using most of those features already for months by using a PPA and they are pretty stable, they make XFCE a lot more usable. I guess that XFCE developers are somehow perfectionist for not releasing already.
          I used to build git in a weekly basis, I even had a few scripts to do so. Then I switched computer and laziness won, so I'm using whatever version ships in Xubuntu.

Comment

XFCE is a fantastic desktop environment for hardware-outdated systems! It consumes just 130-150mb of RAM on x32 versions and its GPU requirements are very basic.

Of course visual experience is basic too, so on a modern system Unity is more reasonable choice.

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
              XFCE is a fantastic desktop environment for hardware-outdated systems! It consumes just 130-150mb of RAM on x32 versions and its GPU requirements are very basic.

Of course visual experience is basic too, so on a modern system Unity is more reasonable choice.
              XFCE is ok P4 but any older than that, LXDE is a better choice. XFCE has a noticeable performance hit compared to LXDE on crappier hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
                Someone tested memory usage of basic desktop installs:

I use Xubuntu but switched the desktop to E17, and the memory used went down from 150ish mb down to about 50 mb; looks better AND has more features than KDE, which is a memory hog and takes ages to load, comparable to Unity and Gnome 3 of course.

But aside from E17 which might look intimidating for having so much customization (like KDE), XFCE, and LXDE are very good. For true old machines, you might go with IceWM or similar.

The base system also helps. Instead of Xubuntu, try ubuntu minimal, (pick option command line only) then just the apt-get the package xfce4. Or switch distro if you don't care about Canonical repositories. I'm hoping for Bodhi Linux to improve, but they need to fix PXE install using their ISO. You might also try the Linux Mint flavors.

Comment

Originally posted by Artemis3 View Post
                  Someone tested memory usage of basic desktop installs:

I use Xubuntu but switched the desktop to E17, and the memory used went down from 150ish mb down to about 50 mb; looks better AND has more features than KDE, which is a memory hog and takes ages to load, comparable to Unity and Gnome 3 of course.

But aside from E17 which might look intimidating for having so much customization (like KDE), XFCE, and LXDE are very good. For true old machines, you might go with IceWM or similar.

The base system also helps. Instead of Xubuntu, try ubuntu minimal, (pick option command line only) then just the apt-get the package xfce4. Or switch distro if you don't care about Canonical repositories. I'm hoping for Bodhi Linux to improve, but they need to fix PXE install using their ISO. You might also try the Linux Mint flavors.
                  cant wait for E17 to be on Wayland to test it

Comment

Originally posted by Artemis3 View Post
                    Cinnamon having only a bit more than XFCE?

Comment

Working...
                    X