Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The First Benchmarks Of Unity On XMir: There's A Performance Hit

Phoronix: The First Benchmarks Of Unity On XMir: There's A Performance Hit

With Thursday's announcement that Mir will ship by default in Ubuntu 13.10 on the desktop, many Ubuntu users were caught by surprise that this experimental display server will be ready by October. Up to now, Ubuntu 13.10 was expected to continue using an X.Org Server by default on the desktop (with only an experimental option for Mir) while the new Ubuntu Touch project would be using Mir on mobile devices, until next year. With the pressed timeline for the migration to Mir, at Phoronix we have already carried out our first Mir benchmarks. In this article are the first benchmarks of Intel graphics when running on Ubuntu 13.10 with a native X.Org Server (as done now on current Ubuntu Linux releases) and then when deploying the same Unity desktop environment atop XMir with the Mir unity-system-compositor.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

maybe there is a higher cpu usage?

nexuiz 2.5:

800x600 17 fps
    1600x900 17 fps

Comment

Still early days. Mir is the future so it can only get better.

Comment

Not bad for "we just got it working".

Comment

That's quite a hit, but for something so early in it's life to perform that well in the grand scheme of things, well that's progress!

Hopefully it won't be too bad for gaming! Keep them coming Mike

Liam of GamingOnLinux.com

Comment

Interesting, nothing too bad all things considered really. In theory it can only improve and close the performance gap.

I'll be interested to see the XWayland tests. As a non-Ubuntu user (on my primary machines, anyway) I'm particularly interested and looking forward to Wayland.

Comment

I believe they are still in the middle of working on composition bypass. Once composition bypass is in, it should increase the performance of full screen applications considerably.

Comment

It will also be interesting to see how Wayland and XWayland perform, since Keith Packard among others have made comments in the past that it should be faster than using an outright X.Org Server.
                So when will they be coming around? Isn't it possible to run it on the development branch if it isn't merged yet? I've forgotten what the state of it is.

Comment

Any compatibility layer will have a performance hit but 10% is less than I expected. Interesting.

Have there been any benchmarks yet comparing X.org vs Mir vs Wayland? Or is there still a problem of finding apps that run natively on Wayland/Mir? Do any apps/toolkits support native Mir/Wayland yet or is everything still running under a Xorg compatibility layer at the moment?

Comment

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
                    Any compatibility layer will have a performance hit but 10% is less than I expected. Interesting.

Have there been any benchmarks yet comparing X.org vs Mir vs Wayland? Or is there still a problem of finding apps that run natively on Wayland/Mir? Do any apps/toolkits support native Mir/Wayland yet or is everything still running under a Xorg compatibility layer at the moment?
                    I second this, they cannot improve that too much.

No app apart of unity supports mir, while kde will support wayland.

Comment

Working...
                    X