The First Benchmarks Of Unity On XMir: There's A Performance Hit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by timothyja View Post
    If you are interested the highest profile case I can think of this type of thing happening is with Open Office (originally under GPL). Sun used to have a similair agreement for Open Office contributions. Sun changed the licence so that it could licence the code to IBM under a closed source arrangement and when Oracle took over this is how they were able to relicence it to an apache licence and donate it to the apache project. Anyway thats why LibreOffice is GPL and OpenOffice is now Apache.
    SUN licensed OpenOffice to LGPL3+ rather than GPL3+, LibreOffice kept it intact through The Document Foundation.
    Free Software, Open Source, copyleft, GPL, LGPL, MPL, GPL v3+, licenses, software licenses, licensing

Apache actually changes the APL from Oracle OpenOffice (that still retained the LGPL3+) year after official LibreOffice launch due Apache own policies that suits IBM interest under Rob Weir who often keeps smear The Document Foundation effort.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
      They can fork the whole kernel and create their own modified version and then create the coolest marketing campaign on Earth and wipe the floor with all the other distros.
      If a day comes when Ubuntu = Linux (or = GNU/Linux, if one is so inclined to refer to it that way), or when Ubuntu has even displaced Linux in the minds of users, a time when Ubuntu has become essentially the only distribution, then who would pick up the slack that would be created in the funding and development of open source? Canonical? One interesting thing to come out of the rolling release discussion on the ubuntu-dev mailing list is that (currently) about 75% of Ubuntu is unmodified Debian. If Debian was laid low because Ubuntu had wiped the floor with it, is Canonical (or the Ubuntu community, to the extent that their contributions are welcomed/accepted by a Canonical which operates as gatekeeper) going to take on that burden? This of course does not even take into account upstream projects, many of which to varying degrees rely on contributions and funding from both individuals and companies behind other distributions. Are many survivors of some Canonical + its partisans perpetrated floor-wiping crusade of the non-Ubuntu Linux world going to want, or be willing or able to move to Ubuntu as the be-all and end-all platform once their respective distro communities have been brought down by Canonical? A bazaar isn't really a bazaar if there is only one shopkeeper.

Granted, the aforementioned hypotheticals are highly improbable.

I really have no problem with the existence of Ubuntu the distribution or the fervent devotees of the Ubuntu community. I have, however, become less enthusiastic about Canonical as time has passed. I also don't care for either-or mentalities which often seem to crop up on any side of any given topic at Phoronix. I do hope that the success of Wayland and Mir is related to technological and performance merit and not popularity, which don't always go hand in hand. While there is enough feuding to fuel various biased camp fires merits be damned, it's too early to say definitively how well these technologies will perform in the wild.

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
      Fedora is basically and experimental branch where they test new things in the wild for the first time, probably to improve next version of RHEL.
      Apparently this can now similarly be said of non-LTS Ubuntu releases. There was a time when, perhaps while somewhat still being the case, it was less so. Perhaps this change has to do with the uptick in Ubuntu-focused technologies pushed by Canonical, as these will not be first tested by the Debian Project before they reach Ubuntu.

Originally posted by alexThunder View Post
      How many pages would we have, if we left out any BO$$ post and related reply...?
      Factor this post into that tally.
      Last edited by eidolon; 28 June 2013, 02:02 PM.

Comment

xmir is also using UXA instead of SNA the non xmir results are using, unless it was forced to UXA for those?

Comment

I'm going to create a parody game named Angry Nerds. I would like for some of you to send me mugshots at [email protected] so I can have them catapulted at company/project logos.

Don't worry, It will be open source.

Comment

Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
            I'm going to create a parody game named Angry Nerds. I would like for some of you to send me mugshots at [email protected] so I can have them catapulted at company/project logos.

You better pick the correct GPL licence!!!

Comment

Make it BSD just to watch them rage.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarvatt View Post
                xmir is also using UXA instead of SNA the non xmir results are using, unless it was forced to UXA for those?
                It was using the -intel~xmir ddx for both tests.

Have you noticed that there is horrible output latency with Xmir? Really unusably horrible, ~1s at times.

Comment

Originally posted by seb24 View Post
                  Not exactly. You link speak about the case of :
                  - The CLA don't permit to re-licence the code in proprietary licence. The obligation of publish in the original licence is still here.
                  - And in this case the guy explain that it is possible to relicence in BSD licence and after that in Proprietary licence because the BSD licence permit it.
                  But in realty I think is wrong. Because if the BSD licence give you this possibility, you still have the obligation to respect the CLA... So you can't.

To resume they are wrong. The owner (for example Canonical) have the obligation to respect the CLA. And republish the code in the original licence + another licence.
                  I'm pretty sure he's exactly right because he's the legal expert here.

Richard is Intellectual Property Counsel at Red Hat. His work focuses on software licensing (including open source), copyright, patent and trademark issues, and intellectual property issues in standards organizations.

Prior to joining Red Hat, Richard was Counsel at the Software Freedom Law Center, where he advised free software and open source projects and foundations. He was co-author, with Richard M. Stallman and Eben Moglen, of version 3 of the GNU General Public License (GPLv3), the first update of the most widely used free software/open source license in over 15 years.
                  Originally posted by chrisb
                  Changing the license of Mir won't eliminate GPLv3 software from Ubuntu Touch.
                  It's one of the very few GPLv3 licensed bits in the "core os" (coreutils and other GNU software can be replaced; Tizen for example uses pre-GPLv3 coreutils from GNU). If some one wants to create a competing platform that still supports Ubuntu applications it could be an issue; Unity being GPLv3 not so much.

But yeah. It speaks mostly against Mir as a standalone project.

Comment

Originally posted by ickle View Post
                    It was using the -intel~xmir ddx for both tests.

Have you noticed that there is horrible output latency with Xmir? Really unusably horrible, ~1s at times.
                    and this is why it's really bad to use Xmir for a DE

Comment

I'd humbly suggest you'd dual license it GPLv3 and BSD for maximum effect

Comment

Working...
                      X