The First Benchmarks Of Unity On XMir: There's A Performance Hit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
    Considering I've been playing with XWayland since late 2012, why haven't XWayland tests been brought forth?
    If you wanted to say there was a conspiracy you'd say Microsoft is behind Wayland as a means to keep Linux back 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
      Considering I've been playing with XWayland since late 2012, why haven't XWayland tests been brought forth?
      I just tried to run OpenGL apps under xwayland. I could not get them running. glxinfo gives sth like

Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual or fbconfig

and glxgear gives

Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual

libglx.so seems to be properly loaded from X.org.log

Will try to file a bug report tomorrow if nothing comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
        If you wanted to say there was a conspiracy you'd say Microsoft is behind Wayland as a means to keep Linux back 10 years.
        That statement is so stupid it hurts my brain.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
          Considering how slow the development is it's clear that people have been less than invested in it. Look at how fast Mir gets developed. They announce it. Bam. They release a test version earlier than expected. Bam. Will be default faster than expected. Bam. While Wayland, we've been hearing about it since 2008-2009. Talk about development hell. And Intel who says they work on Wayland is known to be Microsoft's girlfriend. They're not exactly hurrying with the release now are they?

He'll never admit that Wayland might not be what they said it will be. Right now it looks like a failed project. Too little. Too late.
          Don't feed the troll please. Better to stay with fact and leave @dee doing idiot FUD alone.

Comment

The problem with these new display servers is not the complexity in writing them. They are designed with the intention of not doing much at all, that is the whole point behind Wayland.

The difficulty is in coming up with a good protocol that is future-proof and widely agreed upon by the community so it can last a long while. That's one of the reasons why Wayland is taking so long, in addition to the fact that X is good enough (tm) for most people and most applications right now, so there is not much money being pumped into Wayland.

What Ubuntu did is take Wayland concepts shortly before the Wayland protocol was finalised, add their own changes without consulting anyone, then writing the server in-house (arguably the easiest part of the whole process). The result is a server nobody in the community wants to support, which is exclusive to Ubuntu, and Canonical will have to maintain compatibility patches for all relevant toolkits and libraries.

I cannot imagine Mir having any impact on the Linux ecosystem at all. Wayland, perhaps.

Comment

Not a bad hit for alpha/early software. Color my surprised.

Comment

Michael, there's a mistake on the 5th page:
                OpenArena 0.8.5, which is a rather CPU-limited game and doesn't even make use of GLSL, saw no performance difference at 800 x 600 but at 1920 x 1080, the old game saw its frame-rate drop by about 25% with going through XMir.
                It's not 1920x1080, it's 1600x900.

Comment

I'm personally not surprised by these results at all - Canonical got a head start since they decided to base this off of Android's code, to some degree anyway. As said before, a compatibility layer will always result in poorer performance, HOWEVER, that means worse performance compared to native. So for example, a game compiled to work for Wayland will perform better than the X version in Xwayland. But, Xwayland could still potentially perform better than X11. But considering how young Mir is, I'm not surprised it performed worse, and its performance loss is far from "what a shame, just kill it".

At this point I'm finding it a bit tough to figure out which display server will end up being the best replacement to X:
                  Pros of Mir over Wayland:
                  * MUCH faster development
                  * Supposed to get Android driver support
                  * A seemingly more devoted team

Pros way Wayland over Mir:
                  * Targets all DEs in mind
                  * Seems to be more thought-out in a technical standpoint
                  * Better multi-seat support
                  * A fully open source license
                  * Probably will be more light-weight in the end

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
                    Again, wrong. No plans for Mir migration until 14.04 at the earliest.
                    How is he wrong? It was already posted on Phoronix that Canonical plans to ship with Mir/XMir by default on Ubuntu 13.10.

Originally posted by schmidtbag
                    Supposed to get Android driver support
                    So is Wayland:

Wayland utilizing Android GPU drivers on glibc based systems, Part 1
                    Wayland utilizing Android GPU drivers on glibc based systems, Part 2

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                      Considering how slow the development is it's clear that people have been less than invested in it. Look at how fast Mir gets developed. They announce it. Bam. They release a test version earlier than expected. Bam. Will be default faster than expected. Bam. While Wayland, we've been hearing about it since 2008-2009. Talk about development hell.
                      Bam. BO$$ post another post in on a subject he obviously knows little about. As already mentioned Mir basically just rips off Waylands design (which is where alot of the time has been spent), and XMir is just the XWayland code ported to Mir. All the mir developers have done is reimplement the wayland design reusing many existing open source components. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with this thats why things are open source but its hardly the triumph you make it out to be. As pointed out the X server has been with us for over 20 years, when you implement something new to replace it you want to get it right the first time as the Wayland team are trying to do not rush something out the door like Ubuntu is doing with Mir.

Comment

Working...
                      X