Radeon In Linux 3.11 Is Fantastic With PM, Sea Islands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    I don't think so. The announcement said r600 and up.

I wouldn't be surprised if they had something cooking internally, though, just like they do with older UVD chips. So far, AMD have been good about trying to support the whole range of hardware.

Perhaps it's not fully ready yet.
    More likely its delayed by legal.

Comment

I don't think there is any unused PM hardware in pre-r600 chips. AFAIK everything was driver-controlled in those generations.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
        It would be great news, if it actually would work. For now, I am still stuck with an overheating laptop and manual powersaving, since the new dpm driver always runs my machine in performance mode. This is something that is to be expected, since this code is largely untested and of course will have problems.
        Have to wait for answer to that problem from a developer in the original thread about this topic, then we will see how great this is.
        How do you determine that it always runs in "performance" mode and what do you mean by that exactly? Reading /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_state will always report performance, and that is perfectly normal. Have you done actual power (and/or temperature) measurements? Even if DPM doesn't change frequencies and voltages in your case for some reason, clock gating should make a big difference.

Comment

Originally posted by madbiologist View Post
          165 patches consisting of more than 52 thousand lines of code, just in the drm/radeon subsystem. Linus is going to have a heart attack when he sees that
          I don't think he cares that much about driver code, especially since this is adding new hardware support. As long as it comes in during the merge window, and not for rc6.

Comment

Originally posted by arianon View Post
            Does anyone know if the new power management code will also benefit older cards using the r300g driver?
            The older cards had much less pm capabilities in their hardware, so while i'm sure some things can be done it is a lot less of an impact than with the newer cards.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              I don't think he cares that much about driver code, especially since this is adding new hardware support. As long as it comes in during the merge window, and not for rc6.
              My first thought was about how Linux said 3.10 was the kernel with the most changes in any single release ever, and then how this ONE git pull alone will touch 52k lines. 3.10 may become the kernel with the SECOND most changes ever.
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by set135
                Just a note, 52k lines of code change would only get you into 3rd place in the 3.9 kernel in terms of a companies contribution. Intel had over 75k. Amazing pace of developement...

https://lwn.net/Articles/547073/
                AMD added 52k new lines of code, not changed 52k lines. It's more.

However you are right, intel changed a LOT on 3.9, especially when you look at 3rd place, Wind River, is an Intel subsidiary.

Comment

Originally posted by n3wu53r View Post
                  AMD added 52k new lines of code, not changed 52k lines. It's more.

However you are right, intel changed a LOT on 3.9, especially when you look at 3rd place, Wind River, is an Intel subsidiary.
                  53,269 total lines in the original patchset, which would clearly be #3 in that 3.9 list.

Comment

Working...
                  X