Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H.264 / GStreamer Turned On For Firefox On Linux

Phoronix: H.264 / GStreamer Turned On For Firefox On Linux

New builds of Mozilla Firefox for Linux now support H.264 video content in conjunction with GStreamer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good, means more HTML5 on YouTube support
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

But, but, my firefox had H264 through GStreamer for at least half a year!

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post
        But, but, my firefox had H264 through GStreamer for at least half a year!
        By default?

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
          Good, means more HTML5 on YouTube support
          While i am not against it the main problem remains. Most websites still use h264 instead of something open. Apple as it seems is one of the main reasons for it.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
            While i am not against it the main problem remains. Most websites still use h264 instead of something open. Apple as it seems is one of the main reasons for it.
            h264 is actually open, but patent encumbered; something that matters in 4 or 5 countries.
            In any case, it is time for h265, vp9 and Daala.

Comment

Originally posted by Artemis3 View Post
              h264 is actually open, but patent encumbered; something that matters in 4 or 5 countries.
              In any case, it is time for h265, vp9 and Daala.
              Which one of them is the US, where most computer tech is based and things like that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
                By default?
                I was using the Gentoo ebuild, with the gstreamer USE flag set. maybe it was just enabling experimental code?

Comment

I was using the Gentoo ebuild, with the gstreamer USE flag set. maybe it was just enabling experimental code?
                  Most likely.

Comment

AFAIK you had to built it with gstreamer support -as in your case- to get it to work. I don't think any distro was doing that.

Comment

Working...
                    X