Canonical Will Now Ship Mir By Default In Ubuntu 13.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Krysto View Post
    I wonder what this means for their mobile devices.
    I seem to remember them saying that the desktop users needed functionality in Mir that the mobile didn't, so the mobile would be available sooner. I desktop/mobile convergence won't be ready until after Mir is ready for the desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
      With the amount of testing Mir and Unity 8 get I would guess it will eb less buggy than Compiz/Unity 7 by 14.04. Actually it would be hard to make it more buggy.
      Unity 8 will come in 14.10, 14.04 will come with Unity 7 on XMir.

Comment

Intersting conversation on ubuntu-devel-list :-)

Intersting conversation going on in ubuntu-devel-list :-)
        Originally posted by Scott Kitterman
        Personally, I'm not certain how viable Kubuntu on X/Wayland will be in the long run, but that's at least as true about Kubuntu on Mir.
        We'll get to the long run, in the long run, but for right now Mir/XMir offers us nothing but complication.
        Originally posted by Steve Langasek
        XMir is going to be the X stack that receives the most attention from Canonical, as well as from other Ubuntu developers working on Ubuntu-the-flavor.
        Given that the major concern I've seen expressed is that the Kubuntu team won't have resources to maintain their own display stack ...

Compositing may be fragile, but there should be no difference visible to KWin between XMir and native X with respect to compositing.
        And given the tendency for bugs to arise as a result of mismatches between X+mesa, or X+mesa+kernel, I would be much more worried about native X not receiving the attention it needs to be kept in sync with mesa - a problem that won't arise with XMir, since Mir+mesa are obviously going to be maintained as a usable combination.

So I'm not convinced that XMir actually represents complication for Kubuntu, rather than beneficial alignment.
        Originally posted by Scott Kitterman
        Personally, I'm skeptical that there is any long term future for non-Unity flavors in Ubuntu. I hope I'm wrong.

Comment

Lubuntu is considering switching to Mir ...

Originally posted by Oliver Ries
          We are about to release our benchmark results as part of the public Ubuntu QA dashboard. We will inform the community once the data is available.
          Originally posted by Julien Lavergne
          This is currently an issue for Lubuntu, because, if i understand correctly, we are going to replace an X + openbox (without composite) with a Mir + XMir + composite windows manager (?). Considering the very bad performance on some of our target hardware running under a composite manager, I'm quite worrying about the performance difference. The difference between Unity + X and Unity + XMir + Mir may not be so different, I can't say the same for Lubuntu.

Comment

Look at these on the same news day!

"Mir 0.05 released"
            "Mir By Default In Ubuntu 13.10"

Dammit Michael, you need to start that business of selling popcorn.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              Look at these on the same news day!

"Mir 0.05 released"
              "Mir By Default In Ubuntu 13.10"

Dammit Michael, you need to start that business of selling popcorn.
              Want to share mine?

Comment

This runs on XMir, no?

Isn't XMir just a fork of XWayland?

Comment

Originally posted by crshbndct View Post
                  This runs on XMir, no?

Isn't XMir just a fork of XWayland?
                  Yes, it is. See third last paragraph:
                  Some time ago, Canonical started internal discussions about our convergence strategy, clearly spelling out the distant target of shaping and developing a single computing platform and operating sys…

I wonder how much issues they'll face when they _cannot_ leverage prior work of others...

Comment

This is excellent news.
                    I've always been a desktop and mobile convergent device that'll run essentially the same OS with a unified display server.
                    Ubuntu for Android looked interesting, but what they're pioneering with Ubuntu Touch will be fascinating to watch.
                    It's also sad to hear that Kubuntu will be switching to Wayland, but I suppose that's their choice. They never really offered anything besides an boring vanilla KDE experience in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Scimmia View Post
                      Small fraction? As in every single Intel user, which would be a large portion of the user base?
                      According to the Steam Hardware Survey only 13% of the PCs run on Intel Graphics.

Comment

Working...
                      X