Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I get two things from this:

1. Mir is moving along at a good pace.

2. People have been wise not to trust anything Canonical has said about its plans and timelines.

Comment

So how does this affect those of us that want to use proprietary video drivers? Assuming nVidia/AMD don't have Mir drivers by October, we need to force the X mode and then install/use the X drivers? And then next April, if there are still no Mir drivers, we are SOL?

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
        Sure dude, enjoy your crashes to console!
        it can't be worse than my experiences with kde 2, 3 and the early 4. we called it the windows of the linux world. but i heared kde got stable after a decade...

edit: yes i know mir and kde are two different things but that's not the point.

Comment

As a Kubuntu and Nvidia blob user, the best news for me is Kubuntu will stick to Xorg unless Wayland is ready. I really wish Unity and Mir goodluck but I don't like it. The only concern of mine is if Ubuntu's patches for Qt and Xorg for running mir break K apps on Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by devguy View Post
            So how does this affect those of us that want to use proprietary video drivers? Assuming nVidia/AMD don't have Mir drivers by October, we need to force the X mode and then install/use the X drivers? And then next April, if there are still no Mir drivers, we are SOL?
            Well, according to Oliver Ries:

Jeremy Bicha: "How do you expect things to work for users who need proprietary
            graphics drivers in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS? Do the existing NVIDIA and ATI
            drivers work with XMir yet?"

Ries: "We are committed to not regress anybody in 14.04, the availability of binary drivers is one major component to that"

Comment

Clever move. Unload all the breakage on the small fraction that uses open-source drivers, while the majority will still use the proven X server. This way they can iron out the bugs without everyone being affected.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                Clever move. Unload all the breakage on the small fraction that uses open-source drivers, while the majority will still use the proven X server. This way they can iron out the bugs without everyone being affected.
                Small fraction? As in every single Intel user, which would be a large portion of the user base?

Comment

if ubuntu is 13:10 problematic continue to use 13:04, is simple for me. after 13.04 i only use unity 7 and i very pleasead.

i see mir improving and even dee cant say the opposite lol

Comment

Very disappointed to see they won't make the full transition to Mir by 14.10, and it won't be in 14.04 LTS. I guess it was kind of expected, though. They were never going to finalize it in such a short amount of time until the next LTS. Still disappointed. I wonder what this means for their mobile devices.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                      It seems odd that 14.04 is going to be hugely unstable because its running Mir. But according to the announcement it is strictly Mir from this point on, and they remove X from the repo entirely in 14.04.

With the amount of testing Mir and Unity 8 get I would guess it will eb less buggy than Compiz/Unity 7 by 14.04. Actually it would be hard to make it more buggy.

Comment

Working...
                      X