Canonical Will Now Ship Mir By Default In Ubuntu 13.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
    According to the Steam Hardware Survey only 13% of the PCs run on Intel Graphics.
    That would be 13% of gamers. The vast majority of PCs don't run Steam at all, and it would make sense for them to be considerably lower-end on average, at least when it comes to graphics.

I'm not sure about linux stats in particular, but overall I believe Intel has about 50% marketshare, with nvidia around 30% and AMD about 15%.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
      Originally posted by dee. View Post
      Yeah, and once your dad comes back from Canada, we'll ALL see that your dad is stronger and smarter and richer than ALL the other dads.
      Come on we are all family, Richard Stallman the grandpa, Linus Torvalds the uncle and Mark, yeahh you already guess it
      By that analogy, Mark isn't your biological father, he just thinks he is.

Comment

Originally posted by Scimmia
        The real news, IMO, is that they pushed back deployment of the full Mir stack to 14.10. Just like so many here said they would.
        How is that news? They are basically rewriting everything involving the UI besides the splash screen and login manager, I'm more surprised that they expect to be done so soon... (assuming they are aiming for a finished product that is relatively free of bugs rather than do a repeat of what happened with Unity)

Originally posted by Krysto View Post
        Very disappointed to see they won't make the full transition to Mir by 14.10, and it won't be in 14.04 LTS. I guess it was kind of expected, though. They were never going to finalize it in such a short amount of time until the next LTS. Still disappointed. I wonder what this means for their mobile devices.
        The article says the transition to Mir will happen in the 14.04 LTS, it's Unity 8 that won't make it in until 14.10

Originally posted by Intellivision
        It's also sad to hear that Kubuntu will be switching to Wayland, but I suppose that's their choice. They never really offered anything besides an boring vanilla KDE experience in the first place.
        I think it's sad that they are simply predicting doom for their distro, since they package KDE rather well. They don't do anything special like OpenSUSE does with themes but compared to some distros at least things seemed to work correctly. (even having kde-telepathy running)

Comment

Originally posted by bartek View Post
          Lubuntu is considering switching to Mir ...
          That's not what I understand. What I understand is that they expected to stay in the real X server for a while, and now this announce worries them, because if using Xmir means that using a composite manager is a requirement, there would be no advantage in using Lubuntu on hardware that doesn't support compositing or that isn't properly supported in Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by rambutan View Post
            That's not what I understand. What I understand is that they expected to stay in the real X server for a while, and now this announce worries them, because if using Xmir means that using a composite manager is a requirement, there would be no advantage in using Lubuntu on hardware that doesn't support compositing or that isn't properly supported in Ubuntu.
            Xwayland was for App's Only not DE's and as well all know but the USheep is that Xmir is really just Xwayland to bad Xmir on Mir run's like shit now lets see if Xwayland runs just as bad

Comment

Looking at this goals of Canoncial, I think it might be best for them to skip 13.10 and delay the LTS to June of 2014 or October and provide a well tested Unity 8 on Mir then.

Comment

Originally posted by spacetoilet View Post
                Xmir is really just Xwayland to bad Xmir on Mir run's like shit now lets see if Xwayland runs just as bad

Did you look at the same graphs everyone else did?

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                  Did you look at the same graphs everyone else did?
                  yeah and X kicked it's ass also the Video on youtube the shows it running like shit as pointed out in https://plus.google.com/115606635748...ts/jdbSVidJyWH

Comment

Working...
                  X