Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical Will Now Ship Mir By Default In Ubuntu 13.10

Phoronix: Canonical Will Now Ship Mir By Default In Ubuntu 13.10

Originally Canonical was planning to ship their Mir Display Server by default in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on the desktop and in Ubuntu 13.10 still be using an X.Org Server outside of mobile devices. However, it's been announced today that with Ubuntu 13.10 they will now be using Mir by default...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wondering about the performance when everything runs as XMir.

Comment

Comment

So, are they going to release 13.10 with Mir and then 14.04 with X? If that's the case, what if someone wants to upgrade form 13.10 to 14.04? I feel like it'd make more sense to just have a separate 14.04 non-LTS release, which will include mir.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          So, are they going to release 13.10 with Mir and then 14.04 with X? If that's the case, what if someone wants to upgrade form 13.10 to 14.04? I feel like it'd make more sense to just have a separate 14.04 non-LTS release, which will include mir.
          It seems odd that 14.04 is going to be hugely unstable because its running Mir. But according to the announcement it is strictly Mir from this point on, and they remove X from the repo entirely in 14.04.

Comment

They can't remove from repo as XMir needs it. Probably for Ubuntu it won't be on the ISO, but for Xubuntu/Lubuntu etc.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              So, are they going to release 13.10 with Mir and then 14.04 with X?
              Did we read the same article?

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                Wondering about the performance when everything runs as XMir.
                The same performance as native Mir, maybe a little better. Its the same situation on Wayland with XWayland-- you actually avoid a round-trip at the very end with XWayland so you get native-ish Wayland performance, maybe a little better.

^This is entirely assuming Mir and Wayland are as close as I believe they are and XMir and XWayland function the same, as I think they do.

That all being said... im not sure if there's any 'point of diminishing returns' where if EVERYTHING is its own XServer uploading Mir buffers that things start to stall
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Kubuntu says they will not be running on Mir or XMir. They intend to stay on X.org for 13.10 and 14.04 and then move to Wayland.

Pretty sure most other *buntu derivative will follow the same path - no point in fiddling with a useless extra layer (Mir) that provides no benefit whatsoever on non-Unity desktops and slows down the computer.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                    But according to the announcement it is strictly Mir from this point on, and they remove X from the repo entirely in 14.04.
                    Where did you read that?

They won't be shipping with Xserver by default, but its still going to be in the repo.

13.10: Mir, Xmir, Xserver on installation disk. Mir will run Unity7/Gnome/Anything with XMir, unless nvidia or ati is detected, then it will fall back to Xserver. Anything then runs on Xserver.

14.04: Mir and XMir on installation disk. Mir will run Unity7 on XMir?????? Or will Unity 7 be on Mir??????? This one is confusiing. Xserver in repo.

14.10: Mir and XMir on installation disk with Unity-Next running on Mir. Xserver in repo.

Comment

Working...
                    X