Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux Mint?

What will Linux Mint do?

I am not sure about this Mir thing, it seems its Ubuntu's own thing, and everyone else is betting on Wayland.
    Then I rather want Wayland instead.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
      Where did you read that?

They won't be shipping with Xserver by default, but its still going to be in the repo.

13.10: Mir, Xmir, Xserver on installation disk. Mir will run Unity7/Gnome/Anything with XMir, unless nvidia or ati is detected, then it will fall back to Xserver. Anything then runs on Xserver.

14.04: Mir and XMir on installation disk. Mir will run Unity7 on XMir?????? Or will Unity 7 be on Mir??????? This one is confusiing. Xserver in repo.

14.10: Mir and XMir on installation disk with Unity-Next running on Mir. Xserver in repo.
      Ubuntu 13.10:
      XMir on Mir by default, with a fallback session to X where there is no Mir
      driver support, supported for 9 months

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS:
      XMir as default with the fallback session removed, full Mir driver support,
      traditional LTS support for 5 years

Ubuntu 14.10 and beyond:
      Mir stack as default, including rootless X support for legacy X
      applications, supported for 9 months

XMir: X & Unity7 running on top of the system compositor Mir
      Mir stack: Mir as system compositor with Unity 8 as session shell on top

Comment

It seems that everything is going pretty well, I guess that haters will have to drink their words

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          So, are they going to release 13.10 with Mir and then 14.04 with X? If that's the case, what if someone wants to upgrade form 13.10 to 14.04? I feel like it'd make more sense to just have a separate 14.04 non-LTS release, which will include mir.
          Actually you may want to read that again. Here:

With Ubuntu 13.10 for unsupported configurations, the X.Org Server will still be present. However, for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS the X.Org fallback
          So Mir and X will only be in 13.10. 14.04 should ship with Mir only. So starting to ship Mir in 13.10 makes sense. It gets 6 months worth of testing and hopefully most of the kinks ironed out (I really hope so). I'll end up using it on a spare drive so I can test and send bug reports.

I run a lot of games with crossover(wine) and I'm expecting some breakage on that front. Luckily, there still some years before 12.04 goes EOL so I'm relaxed...

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
            It seems that everything is going pretty well, I guess that haters will have to drink their words
            Sure dude, enjoy your crashes to console!

Comment

Originally posted by who_me View Post
              So Mir and X will only be in 13.10. 14.04 should ship with Mir only.
              Not exactly. Read the actual announcement, 14.04 is XMir only

The real news, IMO, is that they pushed back deployment of the full Mir stack to 14.10. Just like so many here said they would.
              Last edited by Scimmia; 27 June 2013, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by who_me View Post
                Actually you may want to read that again. Here:

So Mir and X will only be in 13.10. 14.04 should ship with Mir only. So starting to ship Mir in 13.10 makes sense. It gets 6 months worth of testing and hopefully most of the kinks ironed out (I really hope so). I'll end up using it on a spare drive so I can test and send bug reports.

I run a lot of games with crossover(wine) and I'm expecting some breakage on that front. Luckily, there still some years before 12.04 goes EOL so I'm relaxed...
                Nop for the 14.04 it's Mir + xMir so I think no problems with X applications.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
                  Yeah, and once your dad comes back from Canada, we'll ALL see that your dad is stronger and smarter and richer than ALL the other dads.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    So, are they going to release 13.10 with Mir and then 14.04 with X? If that's the case, what if someone wants to upgrade form 13.10 to 14.04? I feel like it'd make more sense to just have a separate 14.04 non-LTS release, which will include mir.
                    The idea is not going back to X, but having tested it in real life for that release. On more cynic words, 13.10 users will be the lab rats.

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
                      Sure dude, enjoy your crashes to console!
                      Let That Software Who Is Without Bugs Cast The First Stone

Every piece of software isn't bugs free, what matters is that they get fixed.

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                      Yeah, and once your dad comes back from Canada, we'll ALL see that your dad is stronger and smarter and richer than ALL the other dads.
                      Come on we are all family, Richard Stallman the grandpa, Linus Torvalds the uncle and Mark, yeahh you already guess it
                      Last edited by TheOne; 27 June 2013, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X