Canonical Is Hiring More Mir, Unity Developers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by madjr View Post
    I don't think wayland could support A-drivers in the same way, or could be a pain to rework parts of it and then have upstream not integrate the patches, place them on hold or even refuse them.

IMO, with Mir canonical won't have any weird surprises or delays.
    Canonical based their code that makes Android drivers usable for Mir on libhybris, which makes Android drivers usable for Wayland. Go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by cynical
      Based on your responses here you seem to be a troll but if that's not the case they state their reasons here.
      ...that doesn't really tell anything to anybody. Here's one with little less marketing speech. It essentially boils down to not wanting to collaborate; it's also good to remember that Canonical at no point contacted Wayland developers.

I don't think wayland could support A-drivers in the same way, or could be a pain to rework parts of it and then have upstream not integrate the patches, place them on hold or even refuse them.
      Wayland utilizing Android GPU drivers on glibc based systems, Part 1
      Wayland utilizing Android GPU drivers on glibc based systems, Part 2

It could and of course unsuprisingly the lead developer of libhybris, the thing that makes all of this possible, is working on Wayland.

Originally posted by cynical
      I have a choice of many different distros/torrent clients/browsers/desktop environments/gui toolkits/design philosophies/etc so why not display servers?
      Because it makes developing applications for Linux ever more expensive and harder. Adding support for multiple display servers isn't cheap unless you use a toolkit. It fragments the platform and therefore makes it harder to target; I mean we finally got over the audio stack fragemntation and now we have to deal with the same shit again? Not to mention that Mir is developed in such manner that it will and never could be adopted by other projects aside from Ubuntu and Unity.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
        control ... makes it easier to make a product
        I only wish they stopped call the product Ubuntu. Because nothing could be further from the Ubuntu philosophy than their craving for absolute control to the detriment of the community. They should have rebranded it Fascism Linux.
        Last edited by prodigy_; 26 June 2013, 11:44 PM.

Comment

+1

Also Mir is more of a substitute for surfacefling, than anything else, which supports android drivers.

I don't think wayland could support A-drivers in the same way, or could be a pain to rework parts of it and then have upstream not integrate the patches, place them on hold or even refuse them. [...]
          It seems Jolla has no problem using Wayland in combination with Android drivers for their Sailfish-OS:
          Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

AFAIR from the infamous IRC log of one Mir developer chatting with the Wayland developers, the Mir developer didn't know that it'd be possible to use Mir in conjunction with server side buffer allocation -- one prequesite for using Android drivers. But they didn't ask either. Maybe the Jolla developer asked...

By the way... why hiring new developers? I thought they'd clone them xD

[Edit: typo]
          Last edited by oleid; 27 June 2013, 01:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
            Thank you.

Comment

Correction for above: AFAIR from the infamous IRC log of one Mir developer chatting with the Wayland developers, the Mir developer didn't know that it'd be possible to use Wayland in conjunction with server side buffer allocation -- one prequesite for using Android drivers. But they didn't ask either. Maybe the Jolla developer asked...
              -----------

Should have read Wayland, as marked above

Comment

*headdesk* How do people still believe this? As has been explained dozens of times, the library that Mir uses to run on android was developed for Wayland and works just fine with Wayland.

Comment

BS
                  See, that's the exact reason why people are so pissed off by this Mir thing. Because of people like you, that repeat stuff like that.

Comment

How dare they make Mir when Wayland was already around.

How dare they make PulseAudio when Alsa was already around.

How dare they make Gnome, when KDE was already around.

There's only room for one of everything guys. Just one. No one else as the right to the freedom of chioce and doing things thier won way. Nope, zero freedom.

Thats it folks, end thread. No freodom for you.

Side-Note: Who uses words Like Fascism, lol, what a tool. Dumb Fox News watcher. I bet you think that the government puts fluoride in the water to control you. Its true, run, hide, don't drink the water, lol.

Comment

Shut the hell up clown. Brain washed ubuntu turds can't comprehend that fragmentation caused by Mir is bad. But maybe it's even good, maybe canonical will bankrupt faster after wasting their money for stupid projects.

Comment

Working...
                      X