Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical Is Hiring More Mir, Unity Developers

Phoronix: Canonical Is Hiring More Mir, Unity Developers

Canonical is hiring more engineers to work on their Mir Display Server and Unity desktop interface...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

in b4 superthread

Comment

I would even pay some serious cash to know what is behind the decision to re-invent the wheel, to make MIR, to dump Wayland. I just can't believe that it's only because of some stupid feature that could be discussed. There must be more...

Comment

Originally posted by Redi44 View Post
        I would even pay some serious cash to know what is behind the decision to re-invent the wheel, to make MIR, to dump Wayland. I just can't believe that it's only because of some stupid feature that could be discussed. There must be more...
        They want control over it. It's pretty obvious and rational. No one can blame them since they are free to do whatever suites their business the best.
        Having everything in-house like the initsystem (Upstart), the desktop and the display server etc. makes it easier to make a product when you have full control over the most important parts.

Comment

Mir is an *extremely* important project. If it would fail (doubt it... it's looking mighty good), that would be a huge problem for Canonical. So they don't want to risk having differences with the Wayland developers and running into unforeseen troubles.

Comment

So... Why companies like Red Hat (you know, somebody who really makes money from Linux) can afford this? Sorry, but control is not valid point either IMHO.

Comment

Read The Mailing Lists

Originally posted by Redi44 View Post
              The people at Canonical have been very vocal about why they don't want to use Wayland and they want their own thing instead. The way Wayland is designed is very different than Mir and doesn't fit in with the convergence and "One OS" philosophy of Unity. Wayland doesn't address the same issues and would fundamentally not fit into Unity.

Comment

Future needs one display system to all devices and that is Mir. Until Mir is open source then everything is fine. X.Org is stoneage and should be terminated.

I am glad they are using pure c++ and Cmake system.
                Last edited by tuuker; 26 June 2013, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by caryhartline View Post
                  The people at Canonical have been very vocal about why they don't want to use Wayland and they want their own thing instead. The way Wayland is designed is very different than Mir and doesn't fit in with the convergence and "One OS" philosophy of Unity. Wayland doesn't address the same issues and would fundamentally not fit into Unity.
                  Thank's for the PR...

Comment

The people at Canonical have been very vocal about why they don't want to use Wayland and they want their own thing instead.
                    No they haven't but you are of course free to link any posts about the subject. Most of the orginal reasons very refuted.

The way Wayland is designed is very different than Mir and doesn't fit in with the convergence and "One OS" philosophy of Unity.
                    How? Wayland was designed similar setups in mind and KDE is going to use it as such.

Wayland doesn't address the same issues and would fundamentally not fit into Unity.
                    What issues Mir addresses that Wayland doesn't?

Comment

Working...
                    X