Canonical Is Hiring More Mir, Unity Developers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tuuker View Post
    Future needs one display system to all devices and that is Mir. Until Mir is open source then everything is fine. X.Org is stoneage and should be terminated.
    Oh, so Wayland doesn't even exist. Hey, everyone, it was always Mir or X.org, why the fuss?

I am glad they are using pure c++ and Cmake system.
    CMake is something optional (I like it), but C++ is the highest level you could use for something like that, I wouldn't be that glad just because there wasn't really any choice there. I don't think that makes it any better than any other display system per se.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
      Is it really that hard to believe that Wayland isn't the greatest piece of software in the world and that others consider that they can do better?
      It would be easier to believe if they'd give technical facts that show it.

Comment

Is it really that hard to believe that Wayland isn't the greatest piece of software in the world and that others consider that they can do better?
        Yes, it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Redi44 View Post
          So... Why companies like Red Hat (you know, somebody who really makes money from Linux) can afford this? Sorry, but control is not valid point either IMHO.
          The main developer worked for RedHat when he started with Wayland; now he works for Intel. But did you never wonder why the RedHat guys keep the shitstorm running when its against Ubuntu/Canonical?

There are more of political and business competition decisions than real technical decisions. It is just sad to see that the "linux community" let themselvs utilize for that game. Technically it should be: let them all do their work and we will see what is best in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by k1l_ View Post
            The main developer worked for RedHat when he started with Wayland; now he works for Intel. But did you never wonder why the RedHat guys keep the shitstorm running when its against Ubuntu/Canonical?

There are more of political and business competition decisions than real technical decisions. It is just sad to see that the "linux community" let themselvs utilize for that game. Technically it should be: let them all do their work and we will see what is best in the end.
            Wikipedia states that Wayland started as a spare time project, so no influence by Red Hat here. Hell I dislike Fedora/Red Hat too and still find a moment to hate Mir...

Because the "Linux community" is more inteligent than most of the idiotic managers in these corporations and realizes that whatever succeeds will be with us for the next few decades and that separating such important projects splits the manpower and fragments our already small cummunity.

Comment

Originally posted by k1l_ View Post
              Can you provide any links supporting this statement? At this time, the only statements from Wayland I saw was correcting the misleading information Canonical spread. Do you blame them for that? Aside of that, I saw KWin maintainer and Kubuntu maintainer discussing it with a negative view for Mir, and a GNOME dev here just saying there is no interest to support Mir on his camp. Else than that, only forum posters who have nothing to do officially with Wayland or Red Hat, AFAIK.

Comment

Originally posted by Redi44 View Post
                I would even pay some serious cash to know what is behind the decision to re-invent the wheel, to make MIR, to dump Wayland. I just can't believe that it's only because of some stupid feature that could be discussed. There must be more...
                Based on your responses here you seem to be a troll but if that's not the case they state their reasons here.

Originally posted by Redi44
                Because the "Linux community" is more inteligent than most of the idiotic managers in these corporations and realizes that whatever succeeds will be with us for the next few decades and that separating such important projects splits the manpower and fragments our already small cummunity.
                Why is this fragmentation a bad thing? To me it is what makes the open source community better than the alternatives. I have a choice of many different distros/torrent clients/browsers/desktop environments/gui toolkits/design philosophies/etc so why not display servers? You are making the assumption that for example there are 30 Mir developers and 30 Wayland devs and if Mir didn't exist we would have 60 wayland devs and everything would be done twice as fast, but that is not how it works. If the Mir developers didn't exist Canonical might put one developer on making sure there was compatibility between Wayland and Ubuntu and everyone else would be focusing on some other part of Ubuntu.

I think the drama between the two groups is disappointing. Both of them seem to have some trouble with communication and that's the biggest problem I see in this situation.

Comment

It would be easier to take this comment seriously if you point out a difference between how Wayland and Mir works, and the message thread where Canonical tried adding it into Wayland and got rejected.

It's pretty obvious Canonical is doing Mir separately for business reasons, and there's nothing wrong with that. There's also nothing wrong with commenters here believing that fragmentation is hurting linux.

Comment

Originally posted by cynical View Post
                    Based on your responses here you seem to be a troll but if that's not the case they state their reasons here.

Why is this fragmentation a bad thing? To me it is what makes the open source community better than the alternatives. I have a choice of many different distros/torrent clients/browsers/desktop environments/gui toolkits/design philosophies/etc so why not display servers? You are making the assumption that for example there are 30 Mir developers and 30 Wayland devs and if Mir didn't exist we would have 60 wayland devs and everything would be done twice as fast, but that is not how it works. If the Mir developers didn't exist Canonical might put one developer on making sure there was compatibility between Wayland and Ubuntu and everyone else would be focusing on some other part of Ubuntu.

I think the drama between the two groups is disappointing. Both of them seem to have some trouble with communication and that's the biggest problem I see in this situation.
                    +1

Also Mir is more of a substitute for surfacefling, than anything else, which supports android drivers.

I don't think wayland could support A-drivers in the same way, or could be a pain to rework parts of it and then have upstream not integrate the patches, place them on hold or even refuse them.

IMO, with Mir canonical won't have any weird surprises or delays.
                    Last edited by madjr; 26 June 2013, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Given that they kicked off Mir by talking their mouths off about Wayland's deficiencies, then had to admit they didn't know what they were talking about? Wayland might not be perfect, but I certainly don't have any faith that the Mir "experts" can do better.

Comment

Working...
                      X