Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experiment: Chromium Integrated In Qt Quick 2

Phoronix: Experiment: Chromium Integrated In Qt Quick 2

Digia has been experimenting with porting Google's open-source Chromium web-browser in the Qt world...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

More Competition

Basically the only blessed browser engine right now for desktop projects is Webkit. I wonder how that will go over since Google now uses Blink.

Comment

I would appreciate it more if Digia had ported Firefox instead of Chromium in Qt. Anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        I would appreciate it more if Digia had ported Firefox instead of Chromium in Qt. Anyway.
        Agreed haha
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Yeah. Firefox was ported to Qt in the past too. There was one version of it out. Then the port died. Will Chromium be any different?

Comment

You guys don't get it!

Right, the comments that i read here indicate quite heavily that people "think" this is a Chromium port to Qt thus ending up with a chromium which has it's gui rendered in Qt rtather the GTK (which it currently is).

That is so very very wrong!

This project is making "chromium" available under QtQuick as in the rendering of it. It has nothing to do with porting chromium. You basically have to see it like this: Qt has QtWebkit which allows app developers to use webkit or even make a full fledged browser in QML using QtWebkit.

This "chromium port" is doing the same only with whatever is in chromium. It gives you (the dev) a web rendering component which you can use to make a Brwoser. For an example, look here: https://qt.gitorious.org/qt-labs/qtw...uickwindow.qml

In lazy terms, this is the same as QtWebkit only with the Blink rendering engine. That line is false because there is more to it, but that will make you understand it better.

Note: it could be that i'm mistaken and you all are right..

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
              KDE and Trolltech developers did write a Qt backend for Gecko back in to 2004. The Mozilla project was not very helpfull however. No Qt developer not even Lars Knoll was allowed to get commiter access. So the Qt port for Gecko very quickly died.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
                KDE and Trolltech developers did write a Qt backend for Gecko back in to 2004. The Mozilla project was not very helpfull however. No Qt developer not even Lars Knoll was allowed to get commiter access. So the Qt port for Gecko very quickly died.
                Nokia did one more recently, but we all know how that turned out.

Comment

Working...
                X