Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Has Massive Radeon Patch Set - Power Management!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Has Massive Radeon Patch Set - Power Management!

Phoronix: AMD Has Massive Radeon Patch Set - Power Management!

For AMD Radeon customers using the open-source Linux graphics driver, the Linux 3.11 kernel is going to be mega exciting! Alex Deucher of AMD posted a set of 165 kernel patches today. Most notably, there's finally Dynamic Power Management (DPM) support for R600 GPUs up through Southern Islands hardware! Yes, there's finally dynamic power management in the open-source driver. Additionally, there's initial support for AMD "Sea Islands" hardware and there's also ASPM (Active State Power Management) support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    phoronix: Amd has massive radeon patch set - power management!

for amd radeon customers using the open-source linux graphics driver, the linux 3.11 kernel is going to be mega exciting! Alex deucher of amd posted a set of 165 kernel patches today. Most notably, there's finally dynamic power management (dpm) support for r600 gpus up through southern islands hardware! Yes, there's finally dynamic power management in the open-source driver. Additionally, there's initial support for amd "sea islands" hardware and there's also aspm (active state power management) support...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=mtm5nje
    fuck yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

YEAH =)
      this means radeon is finally a reasonable choice on laptops
      at least im going to swith to radeon now

Comment

The major reason to use catalyst is gone!

Comment

That's absolutely awesome. Is fan speed management also included?

As an NVIDIA blob user I almost envy AMD users.

Comment

I really have to say, AMD has done an amazing job with their open source drivers this past year. It'll be a huge milestone in linux history if/when these drivers become a better choice than catalyst. I get the impression it already is for older hardware (pre-HD2000 series). All I want at this point is crossfire support and I'll switch.

Oh, and for live CD use, this is AWESOME. My GPUs heat up to as high as 85C with fans at full blast when using Parted Magic, when they're normally at about 45C or below when idle using Catalyst.

Comment

Wow! So bridgman's claim that the HD8xxx generation would have launch day support from free software is true. Have any gentoo/ubuntu xorg-edgers people already used this?

Comment

About damn time. They should have done this years ago. I switched from AMD to intel years ago because of the extremely poor power management in the OSS driver and AMD quickly dropping my card to "legacy" in FGLRX.

I may consider using AMD graphics again some day if they keep this up. Good job AMD, please keep this up!

Comment

Thank....GOD... I was just considering switching my Desktop-Replacement laptop back over to Fedora the other day and I decided against it due to power management. VERY happy to see these get posted, and a biiiig shoutout to the entire Radeon team over at AMD, Alex, Bridgman and Christian and anyone else I may be missing-- you guys are awesome
                  Last edited by Ericg; 26 June 2013, 12:07 PM.
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

There's also a reasonably good chance that Ubuntu 13.10 will use the 3.11 Linux Kernel. That'll be quite the OOB experience for R600+ GPU users like myself!

Comment

Working...
                    X