Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Has Massive Radeon Patch Set - Power Management!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bushido_root View Post
    Good to hear everything worked out!
    Interesting, I'll first try it out without putting the CEDAR_smc.bin under /lib/firmware/radeon
    So you added the radeon.dpm=1 in the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash " (after splash) of /etc/default/grub file yes?

Found out that the kernel 3.11-wip-5 from git is 3.10-rc5 with the patches applied to it. So I'm just going to install the .deb files and install that.
    Actually I havent added it to the grub file yet, I'm (ironically?) lazy and just append it (radeon.dpm=1) manually at the Grub screen because I dont reboot too often lol.

But yes, in spite of the UVD errors I get which is somewhat unrelated I assume, it's definitely cooler and quieter. And this makes me so happy.

Found out that the kernel 3.11-wip-5 from git is 3.10-rc5 with the patches applied to it. So I'm just going to install the .deb files and install that.
    Thanks for that little bit of info, I wanna try this on my Ubuntu powered laptop as well, that should save me doing another compile.

Another EDIT: Hmm maybe not, those files date back to 9th June D: haha
    Last edited by ElderSnake; 29 June 2013, 02:58 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ElderSnake View Post
      Thanks for that little bit of info, I wanna try this on my Ubuntu powered laptop as well, that should save me doing another compile.
      Nice, please post on how it goes

Originally posted by ElderSnake View Post
      Another EDIT: Hmm maybe not, those files date back to 9th June D: haha
      My bad, I meant to link this
      Last edited by Bushido_root; 29 June 2013, 03:05 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bushido_root View Post
        Nice, please post on how it goes

My bad, I meant to link this
        Thanks

Comment

• Okay so I tried it on the Ubuntu (13.04) laptop as well, which is a rather notoriously loud and hot Sony Vaio with an ATI 4500 series GPU (RV710).

Sure enough, instant difference Soon as I booted with the new kernel and new dpm switch, the fans quieted right down and temps went down a good 10-15 degrees Celsius. It's quite an incredible difference.

Only problem I've seen on this machine, is like my APU netbook, UVD failed at startup, but unlike my netbook, for some reason with the dpm activated, my screen constantly flickers and tears horizontally. Anyone experienced that?

Comment

• hi, where find a kernel patched or patch apply to kernel???
            thanks

Comment

...for some reason with the dpm activated, my screen constantly flickers and tears horizontally. Anyone experienced that?
              I also have RV710 GPU, and the screen flickers like crazy.
              Btw. I've installed the kernel from here:
              http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...-next/current/

Comment

• Just tried it on my notebook (AMD APU E-350). Works. That thing is clean from fglrx now.

Next up: my Radeon HD 6870 desktop.

Comment

so does that mean I need to update the firmware files at all?

Anyhow my first test didnt go so well. It seems to initialise the power settings, but after a few seconds in X, it has some panic attack and I have a garbled screen which slowly turns whiter and whiter...like its frosting up lol.

Still working out how to provide more information, if I boot into single user mode it's fine... just when I get into X. Rebooting into my previous 3.9.3 kernel and all is normal.

EDIT: Reinstalling my distro firmware and removing the smc files fixed it. Sort of. At first boot the freeze and "frosting up" happens, however from what I could see in the console screen at bootup, it fails to activate UVD or some such, then does a soft reset on the GPU. Then it continues on.

Hmm. Anyway, it's working! My temps are below 60c for the first time using the FOSS drivers Thank you!!

EDIT2:

That's the error itself, guess it's the Unified Video Decoder.
                  I get the same 'frosting' screen here. But mine happens when modesetting was supposed to occur, really early in the boot process. Systemd does not even log anything on the failed boot.

However, I am on a Mobility radeon 3650 (rv670), and I just noticed that the firmware for this card is 'r600' which was last updated in 2009. So my question is:
                  Any idead when/if there will be a new firmware available for this card?

Regardless, this is a major breakthru for AMD. Kudos to all the devs that made this possible!

Comment

• Originally posted by Vincenzov View Post
                    hi, where find a kernel patched or patch apply to kernel???
                    thanks
                    RS880 running cool and quiet. Fantastic! I'm just waiting for UVD to be enabled for the chipset.

Here's what I did:

Clone Alex's drm-next tree.
                    Code:
                    git clone git://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/linux/
                    Checkout the remote drm-next-wip-5 branch.
                    Code:
                    git checkout -b drm-next-3.11-wip-5 remotes/origin/drm-next-3.11-wip-5
                    Build as normal.

Remember, make sure you get an update for drm, mesa, and display driver.

Comment

• Thanks try now

Originally posted by GDJacobs View Post
                      RS880 running cool and quiet. Fantastic! I'm just waiting for UVD to be enabled for the chipset.

Here's what I did:

Clone Alex's drm-next tree.
                      Code:
                      git clone git://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/linux/
                      Checkout the remote drm-next-wip-5 branch.
                      Code:
                      git checkout -b drm-next-3.11-wip-5 remotes/origin/drm-next-3.11-wip-5
                      Build as normal.

Remember, make sure you get an update for drm, mesa, and display driver.

Comment

Working...
                      X