Mir Development Stats Dominated By Canonical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shaunehunter View Post
    What and where do you buy it. I probably would buy it. Really.

I'm not hating on Wayland, I'm waiting on it.
    Honestly i don't know, it's not in smartphones, but it's in some newer ivi's (cars) and tvs, and other such systems. Devices that don't tend to advertise their underlying technology to geek sites, but just want something that works.

Comment

Quoting from your very first link:

"Prior to version 1.2, the name of the EGL specification was OpenGL ES Native Platform Graphics Interface." No, EGL isn't OpenGL ES, it's OpenGL ES Native Platform Graphics Interface. I mixed that up in the first place, however, corrected that in my 2nd post.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunehunter View Post
        Canonical wants to start putting out devices this fall. Wayland's ETA is sometime'ish. "Doing it right" has no value if it never gets done. Canonical seems to want Mir to be compatible with Android drivers and that may be the right call. I imagine the wayland team was about as receptive to working with Canonical as the GNOME project was.
        People have already addressed the other points, but this argument doesn't make sense, either. When Mir was announced, Wayland was already practically done. Yes, there are a few things left, but if Canonical really wanted those things quicker, they could have added their own versions of those things to Wayland via extensions (Wayland supports that), and be done with it, or even just fork Wayland temporarily. It would have taken a lot less work to do it that way and they would have been done with it far faster, probably even done with it right now. Neither of those solutions would have been ideal, but it would have been a lot quicker and less work for them, and would have been a lot less damaging to the ecosystem overall.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Canonical doesn't even want any third-party developers, they just want it developed in-house by themselves.

Not very community spirit!
          did YOU tried to help and they said "NO"?

Comment

Working...
          X