Running Ubuntu Linux Is Messy On The 2013 MacBook Air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by verde View Post
    I don't think there are any Macbook owners who would like to use Ubuntu as their primary OS. You buy Macbook for macOS mainly.

If you buy Macbook for its hardware and you want to use Ubuntu, then why not buy an Asus Zenbook or a Dell XPS?

It is good though to see Ubuntu working on Macbooks (for experimental purpuses)

I use Ubuntu on my Macbook 13'' and iMac 27''. No laptop or all-in-one desktop has better hardware as far as I've seen in person when shopping. The hardware has worked well without issue for a couple years now.

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
      I don't think there are any Macbook owners who would like to use Ubuntu as their primary OS. You buy Macbook for macOS mainly.

If you buy Macbook for its hardware and you want to use Ubuntu, then why not buy an Asus Zenbook or a Dell XPS?

It is good though to see Ubuntu working on Macbooks (for experimental purpuses)
      I've got Ubuntu 13.04, MacOS 10.7, and Windows 7 installed on my 13" MBP (2009, Core 2 Duo). My main OS at home is Linux Mint 15, and my workstation at work has Ubuntu 13.04 (with a Win7 VM).

I wouldn't wipe MacOS from my laptop completely, but it only gets equal time when running on my laptop with the other 2 installed OSes.

Also,
      Originally posted by vk512
      Most people who (still) buy Macs buy the Mac/Apple brand and don't know what an OS is. The smoother-than-PC experience is very expensive but people are blitzed into wanting it even if they cannot really afford it. And maybe only 5% of the adult population are willing to try Linux as their main OS (mostly objective reasons), and yet they may fancy a certain type of hardware (mostly subjective reasons).
      I'd argue that many people who buy a Mac understand what an OS is, and they are purposefully avoiding Windows in their purchasing decisions. Multiple members of my wife's immediate family own Macs, and they all are familiar with the OS decision that they made when choosing a Mac over a PC.... Of course it helps that many of them are/were in the print/publishing business.

Comment

Most fun is that some test revealed that current OSX drivers for the "ac" wireless are quite slow - Windows installed on macbook gave much faster transfer

Either so "ac" wireless is quite exotic at the moment, so buying a laptop just because it has ac built in isn't rational.

Comment

Ouch, Linus has gotten fat.

There are plenty that fit your exaggerated criteria.
          What was exaggarated?

Samsung QHD display 3200 x 1800 :: pixel density 276 ppi.
          Chromebook Pixel 2560 ? 1700 :: 239 ppi
          Retina MacBook Pro 2560 x 1600 :: 227 ppi
          I knew about the Pixel, but that comes attached to a Chromebook. Didn't know about the Samsung screen, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
            Come on Canonical get your shit together! You have copied all those looks from Apple. Now make it run on their hardware. It's the next logical step. Can't believe they still have problems on Macs.... There's people out there who would install Ubuntu with Mac OS X but can't.
            Canonical should just start manufacturing their own hardware. Now that's the next step.

Comment

Ubuntu runs under VirtualBox on top of MacOS.

Comment

Ubuntu 13.04

I had serious issues trying to get Ubuntu 13.04 to install a bootable EFI. I never determined the exact solution; so I decided to use Ubuntu 12.10. 13.04 has a bug.

Comment

Working...
                X