X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaming input device advice

Hello my neardy friends.

Once again I need an advice from you!

I need an advice about 3 devices. All 3 are for gaming.

1) Mouse. I have really bad luck with mice. I have 2 working mice from Roccat. One is wifi, and it gets interfered, so not very usable.
    Second is very dumb, i like it dumb BUT... It's made that way, that by very simple actions, that are beyond my control mouse in rather random way resets dps from max to min, when I play online game. My neighbors, sometimes in the middle of the night get to know what i think about Roccat.(probably they don't deserve it, both Roccat and neighbors) Basically it's just not compatible with me on physical level. So I need advice on good Linux mouse. Something rather big, for my sausage fingers :P
    Basically it must not reset DPS if press two side buttons together from 2 different sides.(Roccat Kova)

2) I really want joystick for X3 and alikes. It should be: compatible with Linux, mobile(i cant take it out and put back on) and not too expensive.

3) Playstation like controller. I am not sure I want it that much, i shall consider buying it.

I am not sure i have those old gaming ports, so it probably should be USB compatible.
    Any suggestions are welcome.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by dimko; 24 June 2013, 03:58 PM. Reason: added more details

1. I would take a screwdriver and clean the mice. For fixing plastic parts, you can buy gas soldering torch, that you can operate at lower temperatures. I fixed 3 of 4 broken plastic mounting caps on my notebook adapter this way. New adapter - 100€, portasol superpro - 40€. Thats besides normal electronics and metal soldering usage, killing insects instantly at 1,2K C? and igniting fireplaces for a grill... Ofc if the issue was not here at day of purchase. The wifi issue should be discussed with Roccat. Both 2.4Ghz wireless and Wifi operate at same 2.4Ghz, so this interference is not normal. I have two mice and two keyboards in a place with about 30 Wifi hotspots and they operate flawlessly. What can happen, is that somebody in your area ignores the Wifi signal strength regulations and you your local police would be happy to teach him about the laws, fixing your problems along the way..

If you dislike the mouse, I'd still recommend to keep it as fallback mouse. You can't guarantee the mouse you buy will be better..

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
      1. I would take a screwdriver and clean the mice. For fixing plastic parts, you can buy gas soldering torch, that you can operate at lower temperatures. I fixed 3 of 4 broken plastic mounting caps on my notebook adapter this way. New adapter - 100?, portasol superpro - 40?. Thats besides normal electronics and metal soldering usage, killing insects instantly at 1,2K C? and igniting fireplaces for a grill... Ofc if the issue was not here at day of purchase. The wifi issue should be discussed with Roccat. Both 2.4Ghz wireless and Wifi operate at same 2.4Ghz, so this interference is not normal. I have two mice and two keyboards in a place with about 30 Wifi hotspots and they operate flawlessly. What can happen, is that somebody in your area ignores the Wifi signal strength regulations and you your local police would be happy to teach him about the laws, fixing your problems along the way..

If you dislike the mouse, I'd still recommend to keep it as fallback mouse. You can't guarantee the mouse you buy will be better..
      Nah, basically button may have become a bit more sensitive to touch, and as I said it's just my biology. I can't hit one button without hitting other, since it's became just tad softer.

About regulations and wifi moouse. I contacted Roccat fellows. They said, "ai-ai-ai-caramba, shouldn't happen, too much interference". And I understand them, as issue happens at exactly same time on working days, around 6 o'clock. When some asshole switches on it's CPU controlled microwave owen with no internal isolation...
      Going to police is not an option for me. As for starter, I live on border of country, in small town. And I don't efficiently speak language of country I am residing in, Germany... Even if i manage to explain problem, i don't think that local force will be sufficiently reasonable for this.(they are all right with pretty crimes and stuff, but i doubt that they know anything about wireless a,g,n spectrum of wifi) Again, as far as I know, 2.4 is not regulated in most countries, as it is for "educational" usage and not licensed what so ever. Strangely enough my wifi equipment works just fine, when i connect my PC with the phone.

Thanks for advice anyway.

I did make my mind and I went for another Roccat mouse. To nail the coffin. I still need suggestion on joystick, anyone?

Comment

Mouse: I use a Logitech MX518 for some years now, never had a problem with it and works fine in Linux, besides that "Switch applications" button, some kind of Alt+Tab button that I never have used, not even on Windows.

Joystick: I use a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, about 30$, very long cable, works fine in Linux and Windows.

Gamepad: Most modern PC games are designed to use XBox360 style controllers, not Playstation style controllers. My XBox360 pad (wired) works fine in Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
          Mouse: I use a Logitech MX518 for some years now, never had a problem with it and works fine in Linux, besides that "Switch applications" button, some kind of Alt+Tab button that I never have used, not even on Windows.

Joystick: I use a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, about 30$, very long cable, works fine in Linux and Windows.

Gamepad: Most modern PC games are designed to use XBox360 style controllers, not Playstation style controllers. My XBox360 pad (wired) works fine in Linux.
          Indeed, I had MX 518 before, great mouse. It's outdated by now...

Extreme 3D Pro goes to lucky owner to Germany!
          Thanks for advice!

Comment

Working...
          X