No announcement yet.

Sony's PlayStation 4 Is Running Modified FreeBSD 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm thinking of getting a PS4 and dual-booting it with steamOS.

Comment

• "...the heart of the Sony PS4 is an AMD eight-core APU with Radeon graphics. There isn't a Catalyst driver available for any BSD operating system right now..."

The interesting thing here is, the obvious potential (3D)Catalyst Driver coming to FreeBSD 10 ? It would likely be proprietary, like nvidia and amd(catalyst) are on Linux, but at least now, *BSD users can finally enjoy a full and rich Catalyst driver -hopefully.

Comment

• Originally posted by BSDude View Post
        I'm thinking of getting a PS4 and dual-booting it with steamOS.
        ...too early to tell, but definitely a best of both worlds concept.
        The PS3, and now 4, are proof you don't need Windoze just to play the "real" top 10 games either.
        Once a couple of the big game companies start porting their games to Linux(SteamOS) and/or BSD, then, for me anyway, it's ba-bye Windows 4ever.

Comment

• Originally posted by scjet View Post
          "...the heart of the Sony PS4 is an AMD eight-core APU with Radeon graphics. There isn't a Catalyst driver available for any BSD operating system right now..."

The interesting thing here is, the obvious potential (3D)Catalyst Driver coming to FreeBSD 10 ? It would likely be proprietary, like nvidia and amd(catalyst) are on Linux, but at least now, *BSD users can finally enjoy a full and rich Catalyst driver -hopefully.
          I doubt it. For Catalyst to be useful to a FreeBSD 10 user, it have to support X.org, and I don't think that's what Sony is going to use for their graphic stack.

Comment

The PS3, and now 4, are proof you don't need Windoze just to play the "real" top 10 games either.
            Once a couple of the big game companies start porting their games to Linux(SteamOS) and/or BSD, then, for me anyway, it's ba-bye Windows 4ever.
            ...oh and talkin' but Micro$oft, they can take their xBox and shove it, while closing the door behind them.

Comment

• Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
              I doubt it. For Catalyst to be useful to a FreeBSD 10 user, it have to support X.org, and I don't think that's what Sony is going to use for their graphic stack.
              Sony itself may not, but then again -> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTQ0Nzk

Comment

Sony itself may not, but then again -> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTQ0Nzk
                I don't see how this is related to Catalyst...

Comment

Yeah. Having games on BSD would be great but I think the fastest way that would happen is through the linux emulation base, which needs updated to get them going on BSD.

Comment

• Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
                    I don't see how this is related to Catalyst...
                    It's called future potential AMD "GPU" Drivers on BSD platform OS's, just like Linux has via Catalyst drivers, can you not read between the lines a bit here, it's NOT ALL just about Linux, -u're in the wrong thread bubba.

Don't you guys have enough linux threads here to gloat over err what?

Comment

It's called future potential AMD "GPU" Drivers on BSD platform OS's, just like Linux has via Catalyst drivers, can you not read between the lines a bit here, it's NOT ALL just about Linux, -u're in the wrong thread bubba.

Don't you guys have enough linux threads here to gloat over err what?
                      Your answer is completely irrelevant to the point. KMS, which is related to open source support, has anything to do with Catalyst? Yes or no. The one who put Linux on this talk was you, not me.

Comment

Working...
                      X